Modem not responding properly

Thread: Modem not responding properly

Modem not responding properly

i use dial up network to connect to the net every time it says that my modem is not responding and it cannot open port i tried reinstalling the modem but the same error shows up
    it shows Error 630:
    What am i supposed to do about it.......???????
    The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones that do.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=767

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    maybe give more info first ?

Give the type of the modem. Which operating system do you use ? Check if its picked by the bios on boot.
    Or the port is taken by another resource or its not recognized or disabled by the bios IMO.

Cheers
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

********** |ceWriterguy
    I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but this really smells of fried modem.
    Here's how to check to be sure -

1. Assuming Win XP, click start - control panel - phone and modem options - pick up the modems tab, click properties, pick the diagnostics tab, click query modem. If you get no response, this means even windows can't find the modem.

2. Physically open your box, pull the modem card, and smell it. If you've ever worked with electronics, you'll immediately recognize the acrid smell of burnt electronics if it fried bad - be warned, this doesn't always work since sometimes it didn't really burn, but instead just got an open circuit in the card.

Anyways, I'm 99 percent sure that if you go buy yourself another modem, and install it, your problem will be solved.

Hope that helped!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Its not a fried modem, Ive been having the same problem. Error 633: the port or com device is already being used. this is a brand new modem i bought from radio shack. after doing some googling, i found a ton of people are having the exact same problem, but ms never released a patch for it, and i never got an answer.
    Stay away from my friends, they\'re smooth operators lookin for a way in.

What is your operating system?

What is the make & model of modem?

Check your device manager and make sure that you only have one modem installed, and that it is the right one.

Also check for conflicting devices.

Is it connected to Com3?

Cheers

my OS is win xp pro
    Best Data V.92 Version 1.0
    I only have one modem installed. there is a lan card, but that wouldnt conflict with my modem
    i checked for conflicting devices, and none..
    yes, it is connected to COM3

i just reinstalled windows thinking it would fix it, but now I am on a fresh install (not now, this is my laptop) and it still wont work.

Ive emailed the company about this problem and am still waiting for a reply..
    Stay away from my friends, they\'re smooth operators lookin for a way in.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Had you just upgraded to winxp pro from an older version of windows? If so, it could be that XP doesn't support the modem itself - I had that issue with a soundcard on an older machine I upgraded...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!