Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: indymedia closed by feds

Regal Making Handler
    Some more information if your interested.

By John Lettice
    Published Thursday 14th October 2004 16:14 GMT
    Updated Indymedia and other interested parties are to seek an injunction preventing the export of the contents of the servers that were seized last week. This content is thought to have included correspondence with lawyers involved in the case against Genoa police accused of grievous bodily harm, falsifying evidence, slander and abuse of police powers, during and subsequent to the 2001 G8 summit.

The servers housed data belonging to a number of Indymedia journalists, including Mark Covell, who was beaten close to death by Genoa police, and is now involved in actions against them. One demonstrator was shot dead by police. Covell told The Register that email to his lawyers in Italy is likely to have been on the servers, and that a number of separate challenges to the seizures were pending. The injunction is likely to be sought by human rights solicitor Gareth Peirce within the next 24 hours.
    Heres the full article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10...oa_connection/

As for the legal aspect. Also part of the article:

Although it was at first thought that the seizures had been carried out under a US-UK Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT), it now seems possible that the framework used was a European version to which the UK, Italy and Switzerland are signatories. The FBI's involvement therefore remains unclear, although it may have been approached initially because the hosting company, Rackspace, is US. MLATs, whose operation is cloaked by secrecy and gagging orders, are intended to provide a mechanism for signatories' security forces to obtain evidence and to make arrests internationally, and they are disturbingly dependent on the bona fides of the requesting party and the judgment of the requested one.

In this case, the latter is the Home Office, which is coming under pressure to explain itself. Richard Allan, Liberal Democrat MP for Sheffield Hallam, has tabled a written question for David Blunkett for answer tomorrow (Friday).
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

but in the interest of the lives of the agents who could be identified it was probably a smart thing to do -- i am all for free speech, but freedom no matter how free comes with a price and limitations, and if you are not willing to pay a high price then there are more limitations
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

To be honest I had not read all this information on the newspaper...it is just much more explanatory now...thanks jinxy!
    djscribble (I love this dj btw) I did not fully understand you:by any means I cannot accept any limitation of freedom as long as it does not limit smb's else freedom...I am just a bit worried about the whole situation concerning information and freedom of speech...
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????
    Screw you guys I am going home!-Kartman