Curious about LAN hacking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious about LAN hacking

Banned

Question Curious about LAN hacking

I am trying to aquire some skills, in a good way, that I can practice with on an LAN.
    My computer runs XP professional w/ NW link netbios, and TCP/IP protocol...
    How can I use these protocols to get INTO an LAN?

as per another members reply to another post of yours...

you should setup your own lan and practice hacking yourself.
    More cowbell! We need more cowbell!
    http://www.geocities.com/secure_lockdown/
    - - -
    \"Is the firewall there to protect you from the outside world or is it there to protect the outside world from *YOU*?\"

secure_lockdown:
    I am trying to aquire some skills, in a good way, that I can practice with on an LAN.
    I think that's what he's trying to do..
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Well, start with learning your OS inside and out. Learn XP Professional, and don't think you're above taking the tour of XP, as it may have information you don't know. Take a few hours each day and read a really good XP book. You have to learn the insides of it, and learn to do things with it. Learn to use the Command Prompt in XP, there is only so much you can do in a GUI.

When you have that down, start learning TCP/IP. Find a good book on it. Ask a few members here what they think is good on TCP/IP. I have a 700 page book called "Intro to TCP/IP" which I've found to be good with minimal misinformation.

when you have THAT down, start getting books on security. Hacking Windows exposed will help too as it conecentrates on your OS you're using, and get some good security books. NTFS is probably your File System so make sure not too slack on that either.

You have too start at the begining, and work your way up to Security in XP. When and if you get too that area where you're good enough in XP that you can do what you want, and you're done reading XP security guides, then you're ready, and can start looking at each security hole seperatly, which is what you should do.

Look into Windows update, and see what each patch is patching, and look that up and read into it and how it could affect your system, and how someone found this hole in XP, and then look for some exploit code and try it out on another XP machine on your LAN. You may want too look deeply into XP, but remember, when you look into the XP, the XP looks back into you. Heh.

Remember that if you do this on any machine but yours, you WILL get caught. You will get caught if you screw around. And don't let anyone tell you you don't have to break in too learn, that's a load of **** used too try and control script kids. You have to know hwo to break in so you can better understand the holes in your OS and know how to patch them.

If your LAN has another machine, and you have XP on it too, all the better, set up a little Network, and some simnple file and print sharing, but make sure you turn on a firewall on your Router so everyone else can't go in too, and then, start messing with Firewalls on XP, and reading up on those, and then after you have that down, start breaking into your XP machines.

You'll become addicted, don't worry, Drugs are the only thing more addictive than getting Root.

Oh, don't install Service Pack 2, on one of the machines. Then you'll understand a little better what SP2 does, and then when you have it, go ahead and install it, and start playing again.

There will be times when you say "**** it I give up" but you'll come crawling back, a slave to the keyboard.

The most important thing though: learn to program
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

I don't agree with that. TheJinx doesn't either. Me and him have had long chats about this, and both agree you don't have to learn to program to know how to break in or understand it. I personally rely on Social Engineering, and an understanding of networking. If you understand how Networking and TCP/IP work and how the protocols work together well enough, you don't need an exploit.

There was another Hacker I've read about who agreed too, he didn't rely on exploits, but his understanding of Networking. He simply would ask in the right way for the network to give him access and it would. Well something like that. But it is true you don't HAVE to know how to code. As long as your Networking skills are top notch.

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by gore
    There will be times when you say "**** it I give up" but you'll come crawling back, a slave to the keyboard.

Oh you know me so well
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Banned
    Virtually any ****ing ass-monkey can tell another human being to download server.exe sad truth is you do not need any type of skill or knowledge at ALL! Hell, you only need 10% of your brain to breath, walk around, and think deep thoughts while your sitting on the crapper taking a frikin' poop.

There are many definitions of what a hacker is based on what a hacker does. Richard Stallman considers that a hacker is any person enthusiastic enough to learn about something. So by definition if you understand TCP/IP and can exploit it through various methods of your own, you could call yourself a hacker [though what you call yourself has got nothing to do with what you are]. Understanding TCP/IP and then using some tool off PacketStorm doesn't strike me as that great a deal. But if it's something like Excalibur then yeah, that's more than just skiddying around.

I simply find programming to be exhilarating at times, and the rush that I get from coding something is unbelieveable. But that's what makes me tick.

My point is, there are many types of hackers, and often enough there will be confrontations between the different types. That's not important. For SamFisher_01, you need to find the way that's best for you. You should anyway follow gore's suggestions in his first post of the thread, but it's up to you if you want to learn more programming or choose to use some of the already-made tools [some of them aren't just point-n-click, they actually require a lot of skill to use]
    /\\

Banned
    There are people who simply do things because they like it... And then there are people who are into an entire mess of things... simply put, they surround themselves with the H word.

Your average guy who simply likes computers... whom has been there and done that won't really get any attention at all for it. But surround yourself and others with the H word & make a big scene of things... then all of a sudden the more you know the more respectable you are.