Thread: Alternate Data Streams - is HFS vulnerable too?

Alternate Data Streams - is HFS vulnerable too?

I've been reading a lot about ADS as of late, but I haven't found an answer to this question: Is ADS a vulnerability of HFS as well? Supposedly NTFS uses a rip off of HFS's forking which leaves NTFS vulnerable to ADS attacks, but what about HFS? Is this a problem too?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Wow, a question about the ancient Hierarchical File System (HFS). Are you referring to the original UNIX version, Macintosh, OS/2, DOS or WinNT? To date, no file (data) streaming vulnerabilities are known to exist in the *original* (UNIX) implementation. The problem with NTFS file streaming is not directly related to the original design of HFS, rather, the bastardized implementation that Microsoft cooked up based on how HFS forking operates.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Ah, thank you. I was under the impression that MacOSX is run on HFS..

Regal Making Handler
    I was under the impression that MacOSX is run on HFS..
    It does afaik. But it is journalled.

Fresh on the heels of its "Jaguar" release of Mac OS X 10.2, Apple Computer Inc. is about to spring a new surprise for the Unix-based OS: A journaled file system designed to provide corporate Mac sites with a new, historical view of their data.
    Taken from this article: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,634711,00.asp
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry