Thread: New network drive

New network drive

Ok so I know this doesn't technically qualify as hardware but its still a cool idea and a cool little program.

GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account, allowing you to use GMail as a storage medium.

GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.
    http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

What it does is allow you to use your gmail account as a mapped network drive. Pretty cool idea and a nic free gb of storage
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Pretty cool project. Now only if I had a decent connection. Even with DSL I'm limited to 15KB up. It might be good for small files... but for larger files... I'd go crazy waiting for the transfer. Not to mention that transfer is NOT encrypted... so anything you transfer can be intercepted. I suppose you can encrypt the files before you send... Maybe if you wanted a place to dump some files for someone else or something... make shift FTP?

Maybe google will become the next warez dump?

The current cost of HDs is like $1.00 USD or less... so its really not worth it IMO.
    Just get a bigger hard drive or burn them to CD.

EDIT:

I just tested it out. Works just like it says. Its actually pretty nice. Its very easy to use.
    Too bad they don't allow multiple accounts. I've got plenty of accounts to spare. You have to log out and back in for each account. Anyone need a gmail account? PM me. I've got a couple more to spare. They just keep giving me more.

Ugh... ok, I just tried to upload some mp3s just to test it. Failed first because filename was too long. They say you can only use a max of 40 characters... this was 21 characters including spaces. Failed a second time due to "server timeout". A small file worked just fine... a small .html file.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.