Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blocking MSN Messenger

Hi mom!
    Originally posted here by hypronix
    msmsgs.exe [or whichever the dreaded name] is the Messenger service, not MSN IM.
    No, you're wrong. I killed the messenger service ages ago. It hasn't been running since, unlike the Instant Messenger. I had a look at the proces list, killed msmsgs.exe, an lo and behold, the instant messenger died. When I started the executable, (start/run) the IM popped up again. Furthermore, the executable has the instant managers icon.

If you look at the messenger service, you'll see that the service points to this executable: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe, not the one I renamed.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

AFAIK MSN IM has an executable like msnmsgs.exe or along those lines [an 'n' in the filename] that differentiates it from the Messenger service. That's how it was when I renamed the msmsgs.exe file while MSN IM was still working.

I don't suppose much changed since I stopped extensively using Windows 4 months ago... Anyway, this is my experience with the two programs.
    /\\

Hi mom!
    Mystery solved: msmsgs.exe isn't MSN Messenger, but Windows Messenger. I had problems with Windows Messenger, not with MSN Messenger. Both are Instant Messengers though. Which do basically the same. Blame Bill. Or Steve. Or that guy in IT.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Just Another Geek
    Simpel solution? Block all outgoing traffic (for your users) and install a proxyserver so your users can "browse" the Internet. If you set it up properly MSN IM won't work anymore. You also have the added benefit of being able to filter your webtraffic (for viruses, spyware and other malware). Another (your boss will like this) benifit is being able to present a raport on Internet usage (top 10 websites, top 10 users etc.).
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Using a proxy or domain policy are solution ; proxy is even better but I don't have a proxy server at the moment, either do I have a domain 2000 (I have NT and we are slacking updating to Win2003).

I was looking more for a firewall solution, hoping someone as found all the IP of my Microsoft server. I know they are in the range of 207.46.1.1 to 207.70.255.255.

Blocking Internet complety is not a option, sitting on each PC to do a modification is not a option either.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

yea saw some on how to block, well just disable the service, msconfig, or services.msc uninstall it, and also if you install webroot spysweeper it has a nice little feature that blocks it out plus keeps you spyware free with current updates

Just Another Geek
    Assume you have all the IPs of MS blocked on your firewall.
    What's keeping your users from using a (public) proxy, thereby bypassing your firewall rules?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

are you using a firewall? I had done this on a cyberguard firewall. *login* will eliminate login in to any sight that request a user name and password. this should be on your proxy services. this is the easiest way to do it.

Originally posted here by Guus
    Mystery solved: msmsgs.exe isn't MSN Messenger, but Windows Messenger. I had problems with Windows Messenger, not with MSN Messenger. Both are Instant Messengers though. Which do basically the same. Blame Bill. Or Steve. Or that guy in IT.
    That was my point. Let's blame Bill.

As far as I understand you blocked the e-messenger website SDK? I know that's how my girlfriend circumvents her high-school's library 'protection' system to use MSN and chat with me

As for proxies, that means a level of intelligence and computer-savvy most users do not posses. Of course, a good sysadmin never unedrestimates the dangers that might exist in nay given setting.
    /\\

AO French Antique News Whore
    E-Messenger WebSite?

Right now, I block the messenger.msn.com website. Users can connect to MSN but I get a email that warm me that a IP as connect to MSN. (Even if MSN failed connecting to messenger.msn.com, I'll log on).

d_atomic320 : I try your trick and I didn't work on my SonicWall. Thank anyway.
    -Simon \"SDK\"