Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hazards of the New Google Tool

BANNED
    Heh, GOOGLE already knows all the info I have on my computer. But with the thought of other people having easier access to what I have i may reconsider google desktop it's not that great from what I've seen anyway.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Hey Hey,

My opinion is that this is all a bunch of malarkey... There's been a really good Full Disclosure discussion on this topic.

Google is expanding, and that scares people... it brings out the conspiracy theory attitude that everyone has burried deap down inside...

So a shared computer has it installed and it'll reveal personal information... so will a keylogger, a program designed to take screen shots, or hell the Logging feature of any popular IM... If you are administrator installing this software on a public computer, it had better be available only to you, or you should prolly lose your job... I agree that using a public computer for private transactions is wrong... If you don't have a computer, then deny yourself that privledge, as soon as you enter that information on a shared pc you are putting yourself at risk... The owner of that PC has every right to log everything that goes on with the PC and many do just that.

The Google toolbar is great.... GMail provides a service with much greater functionality than any free email account and many of the ones I pay for... If they incorporated PGP like hushmail, it'd be damn near perfect... Picasa looks amazing for Photo Management.. I've yet to try it, but it looks as good as Photoshop Album 2.0... I've yet to try the Desktop Search but I've had it waiting to be installed for a while now.... I'm looking forward to their browser... and now the recent talks of a possible Google IM are really exciting me...

They're doing well and people don't like that so they start this conspiracy bullshit... They've got a good product... and they're very upfront with their customers... Quit looking for reasons to bash them and enjoy the fact that they're providing you with an amazing product... It's like anyone that works in an IT office.... You'll always end up working with an expensive commercialized version of software, rather than a free alternative with as much funtionality.... only because the paper pushers and those without an IT background think that more money means better software... That seems to be the opinion of some of the members of this site... If MS packaged this search and sold it for $99 everyone would pirate it... If Symantec/Norton marketed it as the greatest search product ever and sold it for $49.95, you'd all be rushing to suprnova.org to download the latest version. Someone does something good and provides you with a free product... and you want to question it..

People do it with AVG and TrendMicro System Cleaner/HouseCall... going with Norton or McAfee because you pay for them so they must be better... yet AVG will always hold it's own...
    People would rather pay for ((or pirate) PestPatrol or AdAware Pro rather th an use AdAware Person or SpyBot S&D.
    IT Departments pay for Ghost rather than using G4L or g4u.
    IT Managers want MS Servers instead of Linux servers.

How long until you people stop using Linux because it's free and it's too good to be true? Stop looking for a conspiracy where there's none to be found!

Peace,
    HT

Someone does something good and provides you with a free product... and you want to question it..
    Google is corporate, there is no conspiracy to it. They would be stupid not to collect and sell demographic / marketing stats.

Someone does something good and provides you with a free product... and you want to question it..
    I question every free closed source product, I bet you do too.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

I especially like to question free AV / Ad-Spy software... It's sad how much info they send home. (pretty much always the ones advertised in popups) Google isn't an exception just because they have a kickass search engine.

You'll always end up working with an expensive commercialized version of software, rather than a free alternative with as much funtionality
    I don't really see how this relates to anything... Wouldn't a radical conspiracy theorist move to an open source solution? Sounds more like a personal beef, and it's late so whatever...

Stop looking for a conspiracy where there's none to be found!
    Is everything I mentioned not possible? Hardly a conspiracy... More like a typical buisness model.

Google has every right to do whatever they want with the information you provide them. I'm not arguing that it's unethical, or illegal, I'm simply saying it's important to know the facts, and ask the right questions.