Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cant find away to del spyware using HijackThis

im having the same problems as we speak, i just weant thru safe mode and deleted the folder C:\windows\srchasst and the reg key that weant along with it plus the prefetches, so far so good. I think it has to do with a program called randreco.exe. check out my posts to get my specs on the problem. so far so good. other then the fact that my homepage keeps getting changed to searchportal.info. ill let you know if it holds or i just waisted my time.
    APEX247

what i had to do to get rid of the problem is go into command prompt and delete C:\windows\ srchasst and C:\windows\inetg. i also deleted the registry keys (did a search for randreco, search assistant, and inetg). finaly i deleted the prefetches to these files. its worked for me so far. im going on my first day with no ppups or annoying programs being installed.
    APEX247

Personally I think that there needs to be something done about all the spyware out there today. A normal person that builds a code to "get Information" from someone else's computer can get a jail term, but if its a large corparation (e.g. .. Yahoo, Microsoft, etc.,) all that happens is oh well download a new patch or another program and deal with it. Why don't the laws that apply to us apply to them?

Originally posted here by phatcat42141
    Personally I think that there needs to be something done about all the spyware out there today. A normal person that builds a code to "get Information" from someone else's computer can get a jail term, but if its a large corparation (e.g. .. Yahoo, Microsoft, etc.,) all that happens is oh well download a new patch or another program and deal with it. Why don't the laws that apply to us apply to them?
    well I agree with bro but ....
    cant you see that everything around us is business that's why?

one more thing you can do so stop spyware/adware from installing on your system is to get

1. spywareblaster : www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    2. spywareguard : www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

you should also immunise in spy.bot and add the host entries to your host file.
    spy.bot also comes with a inbuilt feature of blocking bad download in internet explorer you should also enable this.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

********** |ceWriterguy
    I put this in another post, but it fits here so I'll post a bit of it.

My darling Mrs. Ice just brought home a 'loaner' laptop from school. Thanks to Spybot and HiJack This, I found and successfully removed over 285 bits of spyware/malware, along with several nasty virii. Amazingly enough, after fixing all of this, cleaning up the machine in general, but before deleting out AOL and NetZero, which the previous users had installed, I did a little search. Sure enough, idiot number 57 left a picture of herself and her boyfriend on the machine. Oops. I posted it to the desktop, along with the logs of what I'd done and a nice little note to the IT boss there at the school (who knew I was doing it and gave me his admin pass)...

To further educate this IT boss, I've referred him to here. I also gave him copies of spybot and hijack this on that laptop, and the urls where to find them, and suggested he get a firewall. We can hope yet another unsecured college will soon be educated.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Originally posted here by jin29_neci
    Thanks guys
    is there a possible way to block this spyware except using a firewall installed in your PC and using SPOYBOT,ADAWARe?

any softwares or suggestions guys to protect yourself from this dangerous PARASITES theyre giving a headache dudE!!
    Spyware does SUCK.

I use multiple mechanisms to _try_ to block spyware on my Windows PCs...
    1) HOSTS File: I have found this to be very successfull at blocking spyware. I update my HOSTS file with a list of spyware and adware sites. This way, when my browser trys look up the DNS name it gets my local PC 127.0.0.1. I have a nice little batch file which checks every day for a new list. This list is updated by a very cool person who hates spyware so much they keep this list updated.
    echo off
    cls
    echo Downloading new hosts file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
    del /q hosts.txt*.*
    wget http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
    copy /y hosts.txt c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    2) Install SpywareBlaster. Get it at http:www.javacoolsoftware.com

3) Install SpywareGuard. Get it at http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

Good luck.

In accordance with AO rules would creating an anti-spyware compain be illegal or immoral?? Its Illegal for any person to come into your home uninvited and put things you do not want in there. you are also aloud to take action against people who come into you home uninvited, they are criminals. Would it be different if we took action against people who uninvitedly install there software on our personal computers. It has the same principles does it not. I may be missing something here but i do not beleive so. I consider myself a hacker neophyte. I beleive in freedome of information, if its in the public its in the public (reporting holes and backdoors to companies). I do not support malicious crimes (cracking peoples personal encrypted information, creating and distributing viruses) why am i a terrorist then?? I would like to see action taken against spyware and other alike. If anyone has any information or is starting an orginization of this nature please tell me. We are the anti-terrorist of the cyber world. Why else would the government use us for our knowledge?
    APEX247

ric-o
    thanks for the tip
    its great......
    I think time will come this spyware will stop their evolution....... I hope but do you believe in this guys I think nahhhh never mind but i do still believe that someday there will be a software for this spyware to stop there evolution,,,