burn down the mission?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: burn down the mission?

burn down the mission?

SAN FRANCISCO — Rich in history and treasured by tourists, schoolchildren and parishioners alike, California's 21 Spanish missions are nevertheless in peril.

Built in the late 18th century, the aging structures and the artifacts they hold are in dire need of repair and upgrades, but a debate is smoldering over whether taxpayers should foot the bill.

If a measure passed by the U.S. Senate becomes law, $10 million in federal funds would be earmarked for mission restoration — a violation, critics say, of the separation of church and state, since most of the missions are still owned by the Catholic Church and continue to hold Mass.

"If people who are religious and of that particular faith do not want to find ways to privately raise these funds, it's not up to the American taxpayer to bail them out and rebuild those religious structures," said Barry W. Lynn, executive director of the advocacy group Americans United for Separation of Church and State (search).

But the California Missions Foundation (search) says that while most missions do hold Sunday services and have active parishes, they are primarily used for secular and educational purposes. Knox Mellon, executive director of the foundation, said he believes missions should get tax money since they're historic monuments, and his organization will make sure the money won't be used to support religion.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,135838,00.html

sounds like a case for the Anti-Christian Liberties Union
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

IS it owned by the church, the church should pay for the restorations. could i expect the goverment to pay for any other privatly owned building...if so my house could use renovations.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Give up the missions to the government to be federal or state parks and I would be more for the government footing the bill.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Built in the late 18th century, the aging structures and the artifacts they hold are in dire need of repair and upgrades, but a debate is smoldering over whether taxpayers should foot the bill.

If a measure passed by the U.S. Senate becomes law, $10 million in federal funds would be earmarked for mission restoration — a violation, critics say, of the separation of church and state, since most of the missions are still owned by the Catholic Church and continue to hold Mass.
    It shouldn't matter whether or not it is still owned by the Catholic Church but that it is a historic relic! I live near Gettysburg <a battleground in our Civil War > and they fix/repair the Gettysburg era homes even though the homes are not apart of their ownership. Money is very tight in the Catholic church now since it took three and a half years for my former church to repair itself. I wonder if this was a Muslim mosque if there would be such an uproar?

Banned
    Why doesn't the Catholic Church sell the property to the government?
    The government can then make them protected monuments, and repair and upgrade them with tax money.
    If they don't want to sell, they should either pay for the repairs themselves (kdk > if this is the roman-catholic church we're talking about, then you're statement that money is very tight is completely wrong), or stop whining.

here, if you own an "historic related building" you should maintain it by YOURSELF in good conditions. Its the law. If you to conserve the building you can just loose it for the Goverment patrimony and still MUST PAY the reform !!!
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Banned
    Originally posted here by kurt_der_koenig
    Money is very tight in the Catholic church now
    Yes, the Catholic church is having money problems right now. Mainly because they're paying out hundreds of millions of dollars in legal settlements to children that they allowed to be systematically molested.

The thought of tax money going to renovate churches, of ANY religion, sickens me.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Money is very tight in the Catholic church now since it took three and a half years for my former church to repair itself. I wonder if this was a Muslim mosque if there would be such an uproar?
    The Catholic church is one of the biggest land owners in Europe, and it is also one of the richest organisations around, and it has been around for a while. But they are notoriously tight when it comes to spending money on their own property.
    Passing the plate was supposed to be a way to raise the vicars stipend, but as that was paid from central funds................

As for the mosque dig ........ when they have been around as long as the churches, then we will see whether they have any of those oil dollars left to maintain their buildings.
    Or will they too, pass the plate ....................

Whatever they choose; just don't let ANY tax dollars go near them. If they fall, so be it.
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Yes, the Catholic church is having money problems right now. Mainly because they're paying out hundreds of millions of dollars in legal settlements to children that they allowed to be systematically molested.
    And I know who and what you are.............

You sold this site out.............so pi$$ off and spend your money on your nob jockey friends............you are not what we need here?

Go away and create your own new site

and conform with your contractual agreements?

"If people who are religious and of that particular faith do not want to find ways to privately raise these funds, it's not up to the American taxpayer to bail them out and rebuild those religious structures," said Barry W. Lynn, executive director of the advocacy group Americans United for Separation of Church and State (search).
    Is it not the same were abortion is concerned? It is not up to the taxpayers to foot the bill. How about affirmative action, should the taxpayers foot the bill? Or bailing out corporations that are going under? Were does it stop, or who will stop it? Oh thats right, anything to do with a church is a no no, but everything else is fair game.