Thread: SuSE Linux Download+Instal

SuSE Linux Download+Instal

Ok guys, i need a bit of help. My problem is as follows:

Im a windows XP home edditon user at the moment (ME before that, 98, 95, etc.) and im ready to make the big jump. After reading gore's article on which linux distro to chose, i decided on SuSE (with mandrake as a close second). My problem is that about a year ago i installed Roxio Easy CD creater (6.0 i think). I tried to get rid of it after it began do all sorts of stuff to my computer. My sisters 4 year old imac was running 2x as fast as my pentium 4 1.8 rig. I tried to delete it, and i got alot of it gone, but i still get occasional problems with some reminants of the program on the PC. What is happening at the moment is that when i download SuSE personal (yes, i know, im cheap) it downloads the files as Roxio immages. I tried to burn the files onto CD with the reminnats of Roxio, but it was missing some files. How can i get it to download into a file that my soon to be reformated comp could open to install the new system?

By the way, I tried debian, mandrake, slackware, and gentoo linux and they all downloaded the same way. :P

Thanks

~T~

Most distros are going to give you an ISO image for download. You need to have a program that will burn ISO images to cd and a cd burner. Do you have a cd burning program besides Roxio EZ cd Creator? If not get a eval copy of Nero and use it (you can use it for 30 days for free) here (http://www.nero.com/us/nero6-ultraedition.php).

I would also recommend that you eventually buy SUSE as its a commercial distro. SUSE Linux 9.1 (Personal Edition) is only $30.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Thanks alot dude. Sorry about my uber-newbishness. Im using the dl as a trial of the linux. Then, if i like it, im going for professional. I just need to use something other then win-dose. Its driving me nuts. Its taking up nearly all of my ram for some freakish reason, and ive been broken into twice due to its screwed up security. What security packs should I install? Oh yea, one more thing, what would i need to do from the install to go immeadeatly to KDE? I want to start out learning linux in graphical mode as it is what i am most use to.

Thanks

~T~

Tranz: Its been a little while since I last installed SUSE, but as I remember it will give you recommended settings and then allows you to change them. Go with the recommended settings for the most part. I am assuming that you want to dual boot so that you dont get rid of Xp?

The bootloader should be installed and allow you to switch from KDE to Gnome (if you install both) and you should be able to drop to the command line in both those desktops. However, I am using the Professional edition and it might be a bit different.

Also, how much ram does your box have and what is using up the ram in XP? (hit CTRL ALT Delete to go to the task manager in XP)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Ahhhh being so good at making people switch

Heh, anyway, I'll say yes you should at least get something other than what you have too burn CDs as it seems to have made itself the default application.

That's why it's good too have a Nero trial edition too burn what you need too burn and be on with it. SUSE is VERY good, I know this, and so do a lot of people, and when you get it, go ahead and try it out, and when you think you're ready, buy SUSE Professional, as it comes with the most applications and tools, and a lot of very nice things like 2 big manuals, and things like that. You may want too read my tutorials that I've written for installation, and of course the one I made on SUSE Basics of securing it, as that will help you out too work and learn in a more secure way.

The manuals are very nice and easy too read, and will help you out with it, and of course if you have problems, well, I'm here. You should buy Professional though, the Personal version is made for home users who don't code, don't need servers, and don't need much at all. Another thing, SUSE has very good hardware support, so you should be fine.

Can you reply with a list of hardware in your computer? Video card, Amount of RAM, Processor shouldn't be a problem, but things like HD size, Monitor, Mouse, things like that. Nvidia Video cards work very well with SUSE, and if your card and monitor are supported well, you'll have no problems, and the online update will even grab the drivers for your Video card.

But I recommend reading my tutorials, and then the manuals, and you'll be fine.

I dont plan on dual booting with XP. If I do dual boot, I think I will boot with ME as I find that it does not use up as much resorces. All I will need to do on my computer I belive I can do with SuSE (word processing, web design, net surfing, and coding). The only program that I would need to use on a windows based system is Macromedia MX. I love dreamweaver and CF, so i would need to find a way to keep them. I have found linux tools that I could potentialy replace them with, so it is not neccessary. It appears that it is the standard windows components that are takeing up the ram (I have 256, but I am upgrading soon).

Thanks

~T~

EDIT: Gore, could you link to your tutorials, I cant seem to find them! I dled the nero trial, and I am getting ready to install it. Here are my components (really sucky, I know. Im saving for an upgrade. Hopefully christmas money will help

256 DDR Ram
    1.7 Pentium 4 Processor
    7.1 Sound (sound blaster)
    32 Meg Radeon Video card (tweaked a bit)
    I have a Mad Onion 2003 score of 1700, mainly limited by my ram and processor

Damn I want an alienware after listing my crapy components

~t~

BANNED
    If you have to download SuSE instead of buying it I'd suggest doing the FTp install. It's the only way suse offers pro for download. Here's a tutorial on how to do it.
    http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2891
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

The only thing I could not get from that tutorial (thanks for it by the way) is whether or not I can install it over a formated disk. Ill probobly end up doing the personal download because I think that the company deserves some of the royaltys for assemblying the needed software for professional edditons (i am very for os software, its just that I think assemblying the pro packages that come with OS's is hard work and should be repayed. )

Thanks

~T~

BANNED
    I just downloaded the pro edition because I can't afford tp buy it right now. I'm sure that's why they offer it is for people who just can't afford to buy it. I think they know they have a pretty good following and anyone that can afford to pay for it will.
    With personel you are going to have problems. It doesn't come with GCC so you are going to have trouble installing a lot of seperate things you may want. Personal has a good bit of stuff on it though so you may not need anything else. And if you are going to use it for coding you really should go with the professional install.
    I really don't understand what you mean by formatted disk. Do you mean install it over a Windows install or do you mean install it and keep your files that were there already. Or am I off on both counts?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...