Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cell phone jammers make way

********** |ceWriterguy
    /me loves the idea of jammers - for the simple reason that he's seen cell phone induced car wrecks, and has had his quiet dinner/movie/theatre show/night at the nudie bar interrupted by the bloody things.

I submit to you that if a Doctor, Attorney, Cop, Firefighter, or other emergency response person is *on call* he should be at home or work, not out at these places. As for in between, there are such things as alphanumeric pagers which work nicely. I would agree with you JP, if cell phones weren't readily available to the masses, but as it is, there's too many idiots out there using them at inappropriate times. Ask me sometime about the 18-wheeler driver who almost t-boned me because he was distracted talking on his cell phone and didn't see my lil 1 ton pickup which is BRIGHT RED. For that matter, ask some of the victims who've been killed in car wrecks caused by 'distracted drivers' on their cell phones...oh, wait...you can't. Sorry, no sympathy here. There's SAT links if the doctors want not to be jammed - they're still too expensive for the masses, but cop cars everywhere are equipped with them.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Don't start me on that subject...
    I'm not starting anything!

/me loves the idea of jammers - for the simple reason that he's seen cell phone induced car wrecks, and has had his quiet dinner/movie/theatre show/night at the nudie bar interrupted by the bloody things.
    Thus enters the logic debate- block it, block everybody-or- block no one and keep everything the same .

Look even with notification this is a hugh violation of rights, cellphones live in the publice use radio spectrum, no one has any right to block what you send or recive over those frequencys. So any jamming would be illegal, it owuld be akin to telling someone that they didn't have the right to breath in your building.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

The problem with cell phones is the same IMHO is education. There is no real need to jam cell phones as nearly all cell phones have a silent mode on them. the thing is people just dont have the reflex to use it. If you are in a theather or cinema you are not going to talk as it is impolite the same should go for cell phones.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Originally posted here by bballad
    Look even with notification this is a hugh violation of rights, cellphones live in the publice use radio spectrum, no one has any right to block what you send or recive over those frequencys. So any jamming would be illegal, it owuld be akin to telling someone that they didn't have the right to breath in your building.

This is true. Cell Phones live in the public spectrum. However, individual places like Churchs, movie theaters, restauraunts, and stores all maintain the right to deny a person service. They maintain the right to do as they wish with their facilities. So why can they not deny a person the use of their cell phone? It is up to the owners of the property. There should be notification that the cell phones are jammed in a building. Also, they have to take extensive percausions to see that the jammer doesn't reach out of their building/property But inside the building, it is at the owners discretion, if we do otherwise, we deny the owner the right to do as they wish with their own property.

What would be the point to own a cellphone?

There simply wouldn't be a point.
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

I reckon its a good idea ... i hate phones in cinemas etc

public areas - no

privately owned areas - up to the owner

I do agree with both sides tho .. I can see in emergencies when you need your phone it being a problem ..

doctors, firefighters, and policemen rely on their cellular devices
    In reality it's a federal mandate that high level emergency responders NOT rely on public cellular based networks. Sure they do it, but it's BAD planning on their part. In every scenario public communication is proven unreliable. Every contingency plan I have seen (and built) places public wireless communications as a severe risk as secondary use only. Thought I would toss that in. Oh and having said that, the private networks are often in a different frequency spectrum but there would be some cause for alarm if the jamming device crossed multiple boundaries. But as soon as you loose the connectivity with a trunking controller the radio will beep at you because it falls into a "failsafe" mode and your are alerted.

Critical pagers are on Satelites and hell they don't even work in basements more than 2 or 3 levels deep anyway. If a device does not "interfere" outside the building or property then the FCC does not apply as currently written. You can blast the hell out of a room but not at another site for example.

There is no such thing as a public business. It's private individuals granting access to their facilities, you have "permission" to be there. Public is a kind of misnomer that is confused at times. For instance, they have the right to say, put a shirt on or "don't come in here with no shoes" etc. Or to outlaw smoking. Now someone decided that they didn't want cell phones ringing. Oh here is one that is the opposite "Coat and tie required" Not very "public" al lot of times.

\\EDIT Just read Maracu's post again. It would be awesome if there was a way (through technology) to send out a signal to "disable" the ring tones and place the device in silent mode.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

********** |ceWriterguy
    \\EDIT Just read Maracu's post again. It would be awesome if there was a way (through technology) to send out a signal to "disable" the ring tones and place the device in silent mode.
    Amen.

Too bad we can't send out a signal to squelch down those annoying 'hen voices' blabbing on them too.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    They will be banned because they are like land mines.... They are indiscriminate.... When you place your jammer in your church and the jamming effect overflows into nest door's airspace thus blocking your neighbors cell phone he will sue you.... Simple.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides