Terminology
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terminology

Banned

Terminology

hi
    is there a place or a link where i can find the meaning and the proper working i.e. the complete information of things such as telnet, router, etc.
    any kind of help will be appreciated!
    thnx
    Share on Google+

Super Moderator
    Know-it-All Master Beaver

Hey Hey,

If you are looking for definitions and explanations of terms, then you are definately looking for Webopedia. It's a great site..

Examples:

Telnet Last modified: Monday, July 26, 2004

(tel´net) (n.) A terminal emulation program for TCP/IP networks such as the Internet. The Telnet program runs on your computer and connects your PC to a server on the network. You can then enter commands through the Telnet program and they will be executed as if you were entering them directly on the server console. This enables you to control the server and communicate with other servers on the network. To start a Telnet session, you must log in to a server by entering a valid username and password. Telnet is a common way to remotely control Web servers.

router Last modified: Tuesday, August 03, 2004

(row´ter) (n.) A device that forwards data packets along networks. A router is connected to at least two networks, commonly two LANs or WANs or a LAN and its ISP’s network. Routers are located at gateways, the places where two or more networks connect.
    Routers use headers and forwarding tables to determine the best path for forwarding the packets, and they use protocols such as ICMP to communicate with each other and configure the best route between any two hosts.

Very little filtering of data is done through routers.

Some of the definitions are rather basic... but they'll at least give you the general idea.

Peace
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".
    Share on Google+

Banned
    thanks for ur help HTRegz it relly helped!
    Share on Google+

Banned
    hey HTRegz i m not still not able to get their proper working i.e. how to work thru telnet?, etc.
    Share on Google+

Hi

For additional information, on top of webopedia, you should check wikipedia[1].

Example telnet. After the description of what it is, you'll find
    [quote]
    There are three main problems with Telnet, making it a bad choice for modern systems from the point of view of security:

* Commonly used telnet daemons have several vulnerabilities discovered over the years, and probably several more still exist.
    * Telnet does not encrypt any data sent over the connection (including passwords), and so it is trivial to eavesdrop on the communications and use the password later for malicious purposes.
    * Telnet lacks an authentication scheme that makes it possible to ensure that communication is carried out between the two desired hosts, and not intercepted in the middle.
    [/qoute]

For some examples what you could do, about 10 years ago, see [2]

Cheers

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telnet
    [2] http://www.antionline.com/showthread...riginal+source
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)
    Share on Google+

Banned

Re: Terminology

Originally posted here by akshayakrsh
    hi
    is there a place or a link where i can find the meaning and the proper working i.e. the complete information of things such as telnet, router, etc.
    any kind of help will be appreciated!
    thnx
    You mean the trusty RFC2828
    Share on Google+

Banned
    all the above links sure tell each and everything about telnet,etc but still what they miss is the working of such things! i.e. how telnet works?
    Share on Google+

Banned
    i m sorry but i dont know what is RFC2828? thats why i asked for a help in terminology so that i can get use to the technical language some use around here!
    Share on Google+

Banned
    Originally posted here by akshayakrsh
    i m sorry but i dont know what is RFC2828? thats why i asked for a help in terminology so that i can get use to the technical language some use around here!
    Yeah, I thought it would be a good idea for you to familiarize yourself with the terminology of one of a few Internet Security Glossaries.
    But I think you will be better off by running any acronym through this site http://homepage.mac.com/antallan/gista.html
    Share on Google+

Banned
    hi !mitationRust
    this link was actually more helpful than the notepad file RFC2828
    thanks
    P.S. plz tell me if u know a place from where i can learn how to work on telnet
    Share on Google+