theregister ddos

Thread: theregister ddos

theregister ddos

TheRegister, home of the BOFH is under a DDOS attack..

Register under DDOS attack
    By Drew Cullen
    Published Wednesday 20th October 2004 12:21 GMT

Update Around 7am BST this morning, The Register came under DDOS attack. The attack continues and is increasing in severity but our hosting provider is doing what it can to mitigate its effects.
    Update 14:30 BST

The good news is that our hosting provider's work is letting more and more of you see the site now. Apologies for the hyper-minimalist look-and-feel; we've turned off our CSS stylesheets to reduce the amount of network traffic needed for pages to be downloaded.
    I was allready wondering why I couldn't connect to their rss all day..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Why would anyone want to DDoS TheRegister? I can see places like RH or SCO or MS or a gov't site but I've found that TheRegister often provides info that you wouldn't see elsewhere.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yeah.. same here .. ..

Perhaps some english members know more about this .. .. ??

Perhaps it is directed at their hosting provider (some other account on their net) or something ??

Please, anyone enlighten us..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Hi mom!
    Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Why would anyone want to DDoS TheRegister? I can see places like RH or SCO or MS or a gov't site but I've found that TheRegister often provides info that you wouldn't see elsewhere.
    DDoSsing has become to easy to do. Now, it's (widely) available to people that don't need to have a reason to DoS a site - the ability to pull down a well known site probably gives them all the satisfaction they need.

DDoSsing teenagers have got a lot of attention the last few days in the Netherlands. Governmental websites have been dDoSsed, and after some well known weblogs published personal information (full name, address) of the attacker, they were targeted too. Now, any teenager with a slight interest in computers knows who this guys is (including some pictures etc) - that probably gives him a kick big enough to do it again, or it'll inspire others to do the same.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm.. I was sorta hoping for more than just the "Mount Everest" reason or the "fame" reason. I guess some things never change.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage