Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things you should do prior to connecting to the Internet...

Things you should do prior to connecting to the Internet...

Once your online your obviously vulnerable to the many threats out there. Before putting your computer online what software should be previously installed? Is there a way of getting any of the windows updates for windows XP pro before actually connecting online (perhaps burning the files to a disk on another computer, possible?). What is considered to be the essential anti-virus software and anti-trojan software out there? Spyware? Adware? IDS?There so many different products out there-some are good and some are bad.

What would you have on your system before you connect?
    What preconfigurations would you do before you connect?
    What are the vital first steps once your online?

1. Updated antivirus with updated virus signatures
    2. Current microsoft security patches and windows updates, or current linux updates
    3. Adaware or similair spyware removal tool
    4. Personal firewall such as Zonealarm.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

Hi mom!
    If you want to download (and store) Microsoft updates, you can collect them at the Microsoft Download Center (at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx ). You'll have to decide yourself what updates to download.

Realize though that while creating a mirror of updates, you're running a risk that you're missing updates (new updates can come out anytime, your mirror could get out of date). Make sure that you check online for updates, after you updated the new computer with your previously downloaded patches and updates.

Updating your Operating System and Virus Definitions should be the first things you do when you get online. (In preparation, you could defragment your drive to speed things up a little.) Spy- and Adware detectors come second.

Make sure to scan the new computer right after you installed OS updates and updated the virus definitions. That way, you'll make sure that nothing sneaked into your computer between 'getting online' and 'having updated everything'.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    If you are able to do so, run your updates behind a firewall of some description. Most ADSL routers will provide this. If you are using a dial in connection, consider trying to borrow a friends connection that has a firewall.

Otherwise this becomes a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Cert has this posted on their site.

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

if you dont have a router all you need to do is turn on XP's firewall before you get all your updates. ive never relied on it as a permenant firewall but it will protect you just fine from internet worms and such while your getting all your updates. just dont surf the net without AV, spybot search and destroy, etc.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Hmmm,

1. You need a friend who knows what they are doing.
    2. You need a six-pack of the friend's favourite beer and a blank CD
    3. Using their system you get copies of:

AdAware SE
    SpyBot Search & Destroy
    ZoneAlarm
    AVG (Grisoft) (Requires registration, so you need an e-mail)
    WinPatrol (BillP Studios)
    RegistryProt (DiamondCS)

They should already have scanned their system for malware so the CD should be clean.

Load zone alarm first, and set it to "high"

Load the other stuff

Go to Grisoft and update the AV product

Use Windows Update and update that

Update SpyBot S&D and AdAware SE

Re-boot into safe mode (F8) and run AdAware, SpyBot and AVG

In my experience, the most important thing is to have an active firewall during your first connection, or you will almost certainly get infected by some automated crap that is trolling the net.

Then just practise safe surfing/computing and KEEP IT ALL UP TO DATE!

That has worked for me over 200 times. I have never (so far) been called back to a machine I have secured other than for upgrades or non-malware related stuff.

Good luck

Banned
    Originally posted here by nihil
    Hmmm,

1. You need a friend who knows what they are doing.
    2. You need a six-pack of the friend's favourite beer and a blank CD
    3. Using their system you get copies of:

AdAware SE
    SpyBot Search & Destroy
    ZoneAlarm
    AVG (Grisoft) (Requires registration, so you need an e-mail)
    WinPatrol (BillP Studios)
    RegistryProt (DiamondCS)

They should already have scanned their system for malware so the CD should be clean.

Load zone alarm first, and set it to "high"

Load the other stuff

Go to Grisoft and update the AV product

Use Windows Update and update that

Update SpyBot S&D and AdAware SE

Re-boot into safe mode (F8) and run AdAware, SpyBot and AVG

In my experience, the most important thing is to have an active firewall during your first connection, or you will almost certainly get infected by some automated crap that is trolling the net.

Then just practise safe surfing/computing and KEEP IT ALL UP TO DATE!

That has worked for me over 200 times. I have never (so far) been called back to a machine I have secured other than for upgrades or non-malware related stuff.

Good luck
    I think with that list, I should add...

4. A very powerful processor.
    5. Lots of RAM.

Norton's Go Back

4. A very powerful processor.
    5. Lots of RAM
    No, not in my experience................a PI/133 and 320 Mb of RAM or a PII/266 and 128 Mb of RAM seem OK.

I take your point on resource though It is your internet connection speed that will be the problem IMO?

I guess PI's are the oldest processors I have tried it on...............over here they won't connect broadband to anything less than a PII