Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballmer: We need a $100 PC

Ballmer: We need a $100 PC

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5419179.html

It's nice that MS want other companies to cut into their profits so MS can increase theirs.

Ballmer said piracy of Microsoft's Windows and Office software in emerging markets has become a major concern for the software giant, especially among business users who can afford to pay for software.
    I think companies that are using pirated software are going to it regardless of how much their hardware cost. I haven't heard too many comments like "Hey we have extra cash, lets legalize our software". It usually goes into hardware.

Maybe MS could develop their own $100 PC if it's that simple. Not that I'm in favour of piracy but it seems like they want someone else to solve their problem for them.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

They already have a "$100" PC... its called the XBOX. Well.. its not $100... but damn close.
    A mod here and a mod there... you have a prefectly functional PC.

Considering that you can't even get a microsoft operating system for $100... how do they propose a $100 PC? The hardware is pretty cheap... when you buy a PC a decent chunk of that is the operating system, support and labor.

Last I looked... I was able to get the xp upgrade as a student for $99.. but in the store it would cost me $199 or something like that. And thats just the upgrade...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Will a $100 PC solve the MS piracy problem?

I think not. Will a cheaper MS OS solve the problem..NO..

Piracy is a social problem, an attatude , and even a convienience problem.. the problem is both with the software manufacturers, the distribution companies, the retailers and the public..

hmmm.. if pc prices get any lower I could change business..

You PC gets a virus.. I sell you a new PC.. I keep you "sick" machine..(after backing up your data) wipe the hdd.. re-load the OS.. Good reconditioned PC for sale.. (not that simple but that is the picture)

the profit in many PC's now is less than 5% on cost typicly 3%... there is more profit in toasters.. so if a retailer can find a way to get a profit edge.. they will use it.. but is this a problem with MS? ..in a small way? maybe.. it is the PC market and consumer expectation.. that is the prime reason..
    You expect cheaper, the large PC manufacturers (to maintain Market Share) lower their price, well they lower the Retail price by reducing the retailers profit margin, they reduce the quality of the after sales service.. the white box manufacturers have to reduce their prices so they can move their old stock, this means they also reduce their profits, and therefor remove services from their customers.. because time is money.. ..or they just copy a few extra copies of certain software..presto profit margin is improved..

I wonder what HP/Compaq, DELL, Acer, Gateway pay per copy of MS WinXP?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I think not. Will a cheaper MS OS solve the problem..NO..

Piracy is a social problem, an attatude , and even a convienience problem.. the problem is both with the software manufacturers, the distribution companies, the retailers and the public..
    Sorry bro, but I gotta call BS on this. I know for a fact if Win XP Pro cost $100 I would have bought it rather than pirating. It's plain and simple, I do not have $300 to put towards an OS... It's not worth that... And IMO, I didn't really pirate it. I bought one copy for another PC. I should not have to buy 30 copies of the same damn software for my 30 machines. I also know a lot of friends who do the same "use the OS from another machine" thing that probably would have coughed up 50 or 100 if that's how much the OS costed... But when it's 300, no way in hell that's happening.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Well, from discussions with members here I know that the EU "minimum wage" would make you quite wealthy in India, for example.

Also, if I am Prime Minister of a country where software piracy is rife, would I be inclined to worry about the value of Mr. Bollockbrane's stock options, or about the development and competitiveness of my country? I doubt if I would lose too much sleep over Micro$oft copyrights

Hey, get real, we cannot even enforce the international laws against genocide, so what chance do M$ patents have

It's a bit like the Volstead Act.............if you make something basic, illegal or too expensive, you are bound to create a black market?

That is life is it not?

Sorry bro, but I gotta call BS on this. I know for a fact if Win XP Pro cost $100 I would have bought it rather than pirating
    and for the people that $95 is too much then your story is BS as well.. read my commentry at the end..
    No matter How cheep the OS or for that matter Software there will always be someone that it will be outside their budget and pirating is an attractive option..
    Even at $5.. no it is a social issue.. everyone will have an excuse to pirate software..note I said excuse.. there are very few reasons.. (abandonware?)

Hey, get real, we cannot even enforce the international laws against genocide, so what chance do M$ patents have
    or anyones ideas/patents for that matter
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

there are very few reasons.. (abandonware?)
    Yeppers Undies, that is a fine issue that you have raised.

I have been thinking and concluded that the only "pirate" software that I have is "abandonware"

How many people here actually have a functional 286/386 or even a 486? So long as I have taken reasonable steps to obtain a licence for a current (updated? ) version, then I think that I have done enough.

I have some "abandonware" that I managed to get hold of the "new" company.............I guess whoever opened my letter showed it to one of the big bosses............I got this package.....the last edition (on 5.25" floppies) plus manual plus a Parker ballpoint pen with the new company's logo.......

As long as there are people like that out there...........I couldn't do piracy

I have also had software that would cost over £100,000 on my home PC............I help them so they give it?..........not being a WMD designer/fabricator, it was obviously worth nothing to me personally, just useful for the job?

Cheers

BANNED
    I don't have a ride to the store... so it's easier for me to download it...
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Ballmer is an idiot. Even after R&D costs have been recovered,
    hardware still costs something to manufacture. There's factory
    maintainance, raw materials, labor etc.

Software, on the other hand, is all development. Manufacturing
    is essentially without cost, as the pirates have proven. Ballmer wants
    to squeeze more profit out of an already high-profit product.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

\"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn