So you try to help somebody...

Thread: So you try to help somebody...

********** |ceWriterguy

So you try to help somebody...

Mrs Ice brings home her 'loaner' laptop from school, she has use of it for a week before having to turn it back in for the next student... On booting we notice that there's no 'student' login like on the other machines she's gotten - it instead loads directly to admin... rut roh...

Being the wonderful IT guy I try to be, I call the school's IT guys and alert them to the problem and what I'm intending on doing, then I immediately network over to my home machine, pop up on the web with it, do a trendmicro housecall virii scan (found 3 and fixed), pull up spybot, do my scan (it's eat up with stuff), then as a final thing, run hijack this... found about 10 things in bho which were all nasties.

Wow. All clean. Did the reboot so hijack this can take down the bho's. Prob is now that the admin login/password has magically returned, but there's no 'student' account on this lovely little win2k pro p3 laptop. it's a dell. no big loss. Tomorrow I'll have her take it back to the school's IT department, tell them what I did and what got fixed, and have 'em restore the 'student' user account. I'm curious if they'll try to shift blame over onto me since those lovely mapped drives point to my home computer - specifically my net security stuff... ah well. Good samaritans live and learn I suppose. I did keep logs of everything, including copies of the hijack this log, hardcopies of which will be taken back along with their laptop.

I don't want/need/request any kind of utilities to cut back into this machine. In fact, I don't really even want to turn the bloody thing on at this point, so please don't offer. I'm just posting this to let others know what all happened, and to ask if there's anything I should've done differently.
    (other than to just take the bloody thing back to the school's IT department right offhand)
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I wouldn't worry if I was you. There is an account missing that was there its not a big deal.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Update - So I call them back after all this happened, and get the admin pass handed to me (some security) so I can open the machine and tell them what's wrong. I login, open the VS logs, tell the sysadmin what viruses were found and fixed, and she has me dig into some of her stuff onboard to find spyware - what followed was a really cool convo about hers and mine - and since she showed me hers, I showed her mine by giving her a copy. Then I get told to just keep the laptop and use the admin pass for the week Mrs. Ice has it. Coolness - it's fully clean now, and I've set up a new student account for 'em, along having it networked quite nicely here at the house.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!