SUSE / Novell and why they will make strides

Thread: SUSE / Novell and why they will make strides

SUSE / Novell and why they will make strides

Hi, I'm gore, the SUSE / Slackware Elitist. I was doing some reading today and found some good stuff here:

http://www.suse.com/us/private/produ...iew/index.html

A look at SUSE 9.2 Professional, which seems to be even more Polished. I can hardly wait! Everyone used too call RedHat the Halloween Linux, and well, if November first is when SUSE 9.2 Professional hits shelves, I guess we can call SUSE the Halloween Linux, as it works out better than way because everyone knows I'm the Punk Pumpkin Pimp (November First = Celebration of Samhain, which is celebrated on October 31).

http://www.suse.com/us/company/press...oes_sles9.html

And here you see where the corporate users will have some fun with SUSE/Novell

" Novell announced today that the Open Enterprise Server product, which incorporates the best technologies from Novell's leading open source and commercial networking platforms, is currently expected to ship in February 2005, ten months ahead of the original schedule."

I think I know why Microsoft hates them, lol, they ship 10 months early and Microsoft can't make something ship for at least 3 years after announcing it lol.

http://www.suse.com/us/company/press...hive04/92.html

And here is a little more in depth look at SUSE 9.2 Professional. Hehe, pretty huh? Top that RedHat, Mandrake and Gentoo. Buahahahaha.

Of course they support and understand College students too, the "Student" version will only cost $59.99 ! You can't even get the staples from a RedHat manual for that price.

http://www.suse.com/us/company/press.../oes_beta.html

And a nice look at what Novell has cooking still.

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec...P=0&CACHE_ID=0

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9. I've looked at it, it's amazing! You can do a fully GUI install for this over SSH, or even VPN! Heh, you don't even have to get up to install it! And for that you only need 256 MB RAM! Check it out, use it, hell it's cheaper for this than the RedHat Desktop. Kind of sad the nice SUSE server this is, and it has a smaller price tag than the RedHat desktop, lol. You poor RedHat Bastards just don't know. Hell, all existing RedHat users that have RedHat at home, you might as well try out this, it's cheaper than what you're paying now anyway!

2 CPU price is $389.00

You can of course go up from there.

16 CPU price : Still under $1,000.00 at $939.00

SUSE Elitist? More like SUSE sales slut.

SUSE: We are 2000 hits higher than normal sir.
    SUSE Sir: Gore must be promoting us again... send that guy a check... or maybe another OS.

I recieved the DVD version of the eval of SUSE Enterprise 9 the other daybut have not had a chance to test it out yet. I have to get it running soon. For $389 I might even just purchase it to test on my dually server. (Although they were a bit skittish about whether they supported my PERC 3 raid controller thats not in their hardware list as of 9.0)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Heh, Sales slut, no, but if they want too add me to payroll I won't bitch, I need the money. For your server, what do you have on there now? It has very good support for hardware, and it should pick it up. You could E-Mail someone at SUSE if it doesn't work and ask for it too.

2,000 hits, pffft, I get that in IRC, you guys add more than that

Not on the payroll yet, but maybe one day, hell I've even gotten a few Gov agencies too switch over from RedHat

SUSE has everything hardware wise listed thats in the server except the RAID controller. They support PERC 4 raid controllers from Dell, but I am not sure about the PERC 3 which I have in the server. They do supposivly support the PERC 3 in another Dell Poweredge server so I just need to get around to trying it sometime.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Well do it hoe! One thing you may want too try out is seeing if Dell has a download for the driver. And make sure you actually buy the SUSE Linux 9 Server, it's nott hat damned expensive.

Ohh, in other related news:

My school has a job offer I might be taking soon, as a Computer Technician, which means I would be working on servers and on the internet, planning for upgrades, and doing System Admin things, and the pay.... Heh, more than double what I make at my other two jobs, and THAT is only the probation salary that I'll be started at.

The other people I'll be working with are pretty much friends of mine, and of course, SUSE Linux Server 9 will be on my list of recommendations, meaning I may start out at a higher salary as it's much cheaper than Windows Server 2003 which they have on a lot of servers right now, and since well, it's SUSE, I'll of course be the one in charge. The BOFH strikes again

Man, I'm looking forward too this, not only is it a good job, but it is at my College, so I'll be able to leave "Work" and go to my classes, and I'll be on call so that means free Cell Phone calls for me since that would be a tax write off, and well, heh, I work at a Cell Phone shop now so I'll give myself a good deal and make sure it is all a write off =)

Ahh, the job involves me being root too, which is no big deal, I have root or admin on 5 boxes at school as it is. I don't abuse that, and to be honest I don't hardly ever use it, it was more or less a boredom thing. I have Admin on one of the Windows 2000 Servers too, which hopefully I'll get this job and start changing them over too Slackware and SUSE boxes with maybe some Free BSD boxes too help the Web Server, and of course, I could set up an FTP server =)

SUSE Uber Alles! Ficken Das Windows Server, Mich REWT.

Sounds good man. And yes, if I do end up using SUSE Enterprise 9 I will buy it.