Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleepwalkers who have 'sex sleep'

AO French Antique News Whore

Sleepwalkers who have 'sex sleep'

I'm not a fan of cosmos, (I don't even read it) but I HAD to ppost this one!

Imagine finding unexplained condoms around your house and then waking up one night to find your partner having sex with a stranger.

It might sound like an affair, but what if your "cheating" partner was fast asleep during the act?

The phenomenon, called sleep sex, was described to doctors at a meeting in Australia.

Sleep physician Peter Buchanan, from Sydney's Royal Alfred Hospital, described this real life case.

Sleeping partner
    Mr Buchanan told the Australasian Sleep Association how a patient of his, who was a respectable middle-aged woman with a steady partner, would leave the house while sleepwalking and have sex with strangers.

The woman was totally unaware of her double life until her partner became suspicious and found her engaged in the act.

"He was aware of some sleepwalking and there was circumstantial evidence, including the unexplained presence of condoms around the house," Mr Buchanan told the conference.

Mr Buchanan ran a series of tests on the woman and diagnosed her problem - sleep sex.

This is a condition completely distinct from sleepwalking and is a form of sleep disorder called REM behavioural disorder.

Normally, when a person enters a phase of sleep called the REM (rapid eye movement) phase, in which we can often dream, our bodies are immobilised.

In the case of sleep sex, this doesn't happen and the person can act out their dreams.

UK sleep expert Neil Stanley from the Human Psychopharmacology Research Unit at Surrey University explained.

Reality check

"In some people, it can be genetic or in others it is triggered by alcohol or stress, they do not lose the muscle tone.

"So that means whatever they are dreaming about, which at that time is their reality, they actually do."

He said if what the person was acting out fitted with the dream they might not wake up.

"If you are lying there dreaming about having sex with your wife and you just happen to be having sex with your wife then there's nothing there to stop the dream. You don't perceive that as wrong."

He said there were documented cases where people had committed murders in their sleep.

"There is a case in English law where a guy was beating his girlfriend over the head with a video recorder and she was screaming at him."

He said the man only woke up when the girlfriend said "I love you".

"Probably that was such a stupid thing in his dream that did not fit that it woke him up.

"It's like when you hear the phone in the middle of your dream and you wake up."

He said people would not necessarily remember what they had done while they were dreaming.

"You only remember your dreams if you wake up during them.

"But even then, it can be very difficult to comprehend that you have done what you dreamed about."

He said finding out what was the trigger of the REM behavioural disorder and eliminating it could help.

Other treatments include medications to induce sleep or reduce muscle tone.

Mr Buchanan said almost half of all sleep sex cases were associated with psychological problems and, in the case of the woman he described, psychotherapy helped.

THE STAGES OF SLEEP
    Stage 1 - passed through briefly when falling to sleep
    Stage 2 - most of the sleeping time is spent in this stage
    Stages 3 and 4 - deep sleep, when people can sleepwalk
    Stage 5 - REM sleep, when people can sex sleep
    Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3744226.stm
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Wow.....

um... yea.. wow....

[edit]

I know i often talk in my sleep, and always thought that it was dream related. ive also been known to do stupid things shortly after i wake up..... still asleep... for example;

the night before my birthday i was at a hotel and stayed the night in a room with my gf. the morning of my birthday my mother called the hotel and my gf answered. woek me up and gave me the phone while she went to the tiolet. she comes back out and im on the bed asleep and the phones on the floor. now, i woke up shortly afterwards and my gf looked at me seriously.. and said.... "so what did she say" and i said, "what did who say"....

me: who?
    her: your mum?
    me: nothing why?

(note i usually say nothing when i dont have an answer, in this cause because i didnt know what she was talking about )

after a short pause, and my gf thinking that i was upset from the phone conversation... started again.

her: so what did she say?
    me: who?!
    her: your mum
    me: i never spoke to her
    her: yes you did, like 7 minutes ago (as she looked at the clock)

[this went on for some time....]

she told me she walked back out and the phone was on the floor and i was asleep. at that point i looked at her and just laughed, because i vaguely remember picking the phone off the floor and hanging it up... just before this convo...

spose you had to be there.......

ANYways, apparently i had had a full phone conversation during my sleep and i dont remember! i just dont like to think that im capable of sex sleep aswell

CTO

*sorry if this wasnt useful or funny*
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Mr Buchanan told the Australasian Sleep Association how a patient of his, who was a respectable middle-aged woman with a steady partner, would leave the house while sleepwalking and have sex with strangers.
    umm..Poor souls I Hope she was hot lol jk. Tell me if I'm wrong but couldn't you tell if one is sleepwalking or something alone those lines? or Is it just normal looking?

That must suck... sleep walking, then having sex only to not know about it.
    Space For Rent.. =]

********** |ceWriterguy
    Reality check - sounds like a load of BS to me - in fact, my BS detector's meter is pegged out. Talk about lame excuses. I wouldn't even consider trying this one on my (idiot) first wife...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

agreeing with |3lack|ce but adding on to that, wouldn't you think that even though a person was "sleep sexing" they would wake up when they had their orgasm
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Don't knock it ...........
    If it wasn't for the sleep sex with my wife, I wouldn't HAVE a sex life...........
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Foxy,

1. Which one of you is asleep?
    2. Q: Do you talk to your wife when you are having sex?
    A: Yes I phone her

and for |3lack|ce:

3. Q: How would you like to speak to your first wife?
    A: Through a Medium

It is my Wedding Anniversary tomorrow so I thought I had better get into the "spirit" of things

wouldn't you think that even though a person was "sleep sexing" they would wake up when they had their orgasm
    Ever heard of heavy sleepers? My brother has smacked me...punched me and everything to wake me up and had to throw a bucket of water on me then I woke up after 5 minutes of noticing I was wet and I doubt I'm the only heavy sleeper in this world although I don't (thank god) sleep walk but I do talk in my sleep but not about my dreams because I haven't dreamt in months..
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

I some how don't think you would get away with it if your partner caught you having sex with another person and you blamed it on sleep sex ... lol