Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lesser RAM than the actual,

What is the make and model of the PC and the motherboard? what processor does it have?

Check the 128Mb strip and find out the CL value (it will be 2, 2.5, or 3) Depending on that, get memory that is the same. That should allow you to use the 128Mb strip as well.

Yes, I believe that you need 256Mb strips, but I would like to check that for certain. The fact that it has interpreted the 512 as a 256 indicates that they are supported. If it is a PIII I am pretty sure it will support 256Mb strips. If it is a PII we need to be careful, as quite a lot of those only support 128Mb strips.

Cheers

Thanks nihil again, My friend has an old machine from time company. He has AMD 350 Mhz processor. 3 slots for RAM. That's all I know. His machine was shipped with 64MB or 128 MB SDRAM ,I am not sure. That's it.

Cheers.

Hi,

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/list...t=Go+to+Step+2

That link will allow you to check what memory his PC will take. There is also a diagnostic tool.

And:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

A system diagnostic tool that will tell you what computer it is, and has a link to the Crucial site.

As the machine is so old, I think that you had better make sure that it supports 256Mb strips

********** |ceWriterguy
    After reading the lot on mixing memory sizes I had to toss this in. I'm not sure on the newer models other than what's been posted here, but I know you can with the old FastRam sticks on old 486 and pent I's. I used to do it all the time on my old clunker back when I was playing around with it.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!