Thread: Linux Webserver

Linux Webserver

I am working in a computer repairs shop and we keep all our tools on the shops intranet, we used to use windows XP with Apache webserver and everything worked fine, but we have just wiped the server and loaded RH Linux 9 again using apache, but for some reason we can only download off the intranet at speeds between 10-80 k/sec which seems to be very strange since it used to be a minimum of 1mb/sec with windows, if you need anymore details I will give them to you, the shop needs this site, so please we need help,

any help would be appreciated,

c0br4

Heh, I doubt this has much to do with the OS (although different versions of linux only allow certain speed spec's). You should check out your OS's respected website and see it's allowed specifications and work from there. Perhaps it has to do with your connection?
    Space For Rent.. =]

Really you haven't provided enough information:

1. DNS lookups are disabled on the Apache, aren't they?
    2. Is your bandwidth maxed out? What tool are you using to benchmark it?
    3. Have you looked at any performance information on the linux box, with vmstat, top etc? Does anything appear unusual?
    4. Are you absolutely sure it isn't some DNS or host name resolution issue? What host name resolution protocol are your client boxes using?
    5. Are you getting any strange messages on the system log, specifically, do you have an ethernet duplex error causing a large number of collisions?

Slarty

If you are administering this box, you need to examine at least the following:
    - The hardware involved. Have the NICs/Cables/Network layout changed?
    - Is the symptom occurring for EVERYONE on the intranet, or just from certain boxes when connecting to the Apache server?
    - Verify your NIC is well supported using RedHat's HCL, and that you are actually able to transfer at 100mbps.

Originally posted here by slarty
    1. DNS lookups are disabled on the Apache, aren't they?
    [...]
    4. Are you absolutely sure it isn't some DNS or host name resolution issue? What host name resolution protocol are your client boxes using?
    DNS lookups will affect the initiation of the connection, not the bandwidth itself. Even if Apache was doing 100 simultaneous DNS lookups, its bandwidth usage would be negligible even on a 1mbps connection.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Is it just an Apache issue, or are all the services running slow. Try using Samba if you just need to share some files on the local lan.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Just a bland question, but also, is the nic card set for 100mb and not 10? RH has done that a few times to me and it was the last thing I checked... That's probably not really affecting anything, but it can hamper performance on the network.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

I am also running an FTP server on the same machine, but the speeds are the same as the webserver
    I\'m Dying To Find Out The Hard Way

Have you checked all your cables and switches that your devices are plugged into?

Make sure its not a bad cable or switch somewhere.
    =

it is not a hardware problem as I was running windows with apache on the same machine with no problems, unfortunately my boss has lost all faith in linux so we are back on windows... but i would still love to know what the problem could have been, and if anyone else has suffered from the same problem
    I\'m Dying To Find Out The Hard Way