Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Writing Crap to get your # of Post up

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I never take offense to a difference in opinion.

Per my first paragraph, I was actually trying to make the point that the AP system is useless (mostly) in determining the value of a person's posts.

I'm a little confused about your responses because the points I was (trying) to make are the same ones you are rippin me on.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    In my unprofessional, non-politically correct opinion, here's what I think:

I registered a little under 3 years ago (12-2001) and that was back when I remember seeing the AP system for what it was supposed to be. That meaning, there were very few people with 11 green dots. Hell, I can't count past Negative, Terr, JP himself, and a very few others...everyone else could be considered to have been jockeying for position (myself included). Back when it was hard to break 100 positive because, back then, there was someone high enough up who just wanted to neg people back down to grey status/etc. Then we passed through the whole "who's negging me for no reason" or "who's negging me and signing someone else's name", etc...

Anyways, I'm falling off-track. I see plenty of new people who have more of an idea about how this site's supposed to work just as I see older people on this site that don't deserve the status they have; if you call AP and entitlements status. I say strip off the AP system (except for the way it works in keeping a thread up or suiciding it) and see how many stay. I would because this is an area that I like being in. I can respect and understand the views and opinions of my "peers" because we're always here and always involved in the site. People that have been banned repeatedly shouldn't even be allowed back; timer it to a year or something. That defeats the whole purpose of banning, just like in MUDs. Ban the name, they remake a new one but still cause problems. Cheat in an MP game (CS, GO, BF1942, DC, etc), they ban you by name and you rename and come back...you get the point...

I'd like to see the AO site make some changes...make some forums, like the GC and other public ones, that are "non-AP assigned" except for the post ability. This way, you see who writes good stuff, you see who's in it "for real", and you see who's being an ass or otherwise just trolling. In other areas where advice is being sought, regular rules apply and you see who's doing good, who's not just increasing their post count, etc.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

The ap system has never worked as it was intended.. back in the day when it started it was as much a popularity contest as it is now... Whether the information you posted was accurate or not, if you disagreed with someone who had lots of friends here, you got negged. Putting names with the APs kind of stopped that, but i don't think anybody should try and fool themselves into think the title under the handle, or the number of APs has ever, or will ever mean anything other than how many times somebody clicked give or take APs from that person.

edit- and with that post I hit a whooping high post/day count of:
    0.38 posts per day

I have been on AO for awhile now and over the year or so I have seen the progression or degression, whichever way you want to look at it, of the site. When I signed up I was just anxious to learn everything and soon I saw how some people had 100's of posts and large amounts of AP's and I thought these were the smart ones (let me reiterate that this was at first). However, with the weeks and month soon to follow I learned that much like a highschool (as compared before) you have your different types of people however in AO it makes up a good knowledge base. I wanted to have 1000's of posts and tons of AP's but I could never really drive myself you post large amounts of usless ****. However after spending a few weeks on AO you learn very quickly who has the knowledge to back there Greenies and Post count up. You also know the jacks who do it just for the post count.

In conclusion: The system is not perfect... the system will never be perfect. But you should leave it up to yourself to decided who you would like to take advice from.

Idea: If you feel that little shits are taking over the Addicts room then make a another forum. However, this room will not be accessible by # of posts or AP's but by the number of votes that are made for you by those already in the room. This means we take the real seniors members (msm, tiger, negative, thhorse, etc). With these in there they can form a real group of smart minds that won't start alliances, flame wars and so on. This would give something for newcomers to aspire to. You give them the opportunity to make it to the "Seniors Room" and more then likely they would try. Instead of trying accumulate greenies you can focus more on the quality so that the seniors see you have smarts and invite you into their group.

Oh well...

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Also keep in mind that the AP system is *not* what it was intended to be at all - and I'm not just stating the obvious. It's incomplete - JP was still working on the damn system when JupMed took over an' JP said like a month ago that it was still in the experimental stages far from being completed.

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    I never take offense to a difference in opinion.

Per my first paragraph, I was actually trying to make the point that the AP system is useless (mostly) in determining the value of a person's posts.

I'm a little confused about your responses because the points I was (trying) to make are the same ones you are rippin me on.
    Since it wasn't clear, what I was trying to put across was more you weren't going far enough IMO. Even the suggestion someone's AP count is representative of their quality of posts is off base IMO. It also wasn't my intention to come across as "ripping" on you.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Maybe it is this late bottled vintage port..............or the tiger prawns I ate earlier? but I find myself agreeing with Hoss and Chris at the same time

I believe that they are arguing the same case, from slightly different angles?

My "take" is that you get 11 snot dots at around 1500 antipoints. The only other "metric" that I am aware of is the "Top Ten".............which I guess must be around 10,000 antipoints?

Whatever the exact figures are don't really matter................the point is that there is such a big difference between the two, and the first one is so relatively easily obtained that the metrics are meaningless.

Even the suggestion someone's AP count is representative of their quality of posts is off base IMO

Exactly................all it shows is that the person hasn't seriously upset the community and has made some contribution to the general proceedings?

Which begs the question "what is contribution?"...............well you could have provided serious insight into security issues, you might have helped someone with a specific problem they were having..............or you might just have made a witty/cynical or whatever remark. Not really a foolproof formula for a reliable metric, I would suggest?

I have supported (in the relatively short time that I have been here) the view that several of the forums should not have their content included in the post count, or available for antipoints. Now that one can award points at the thread rather than individual level, this seems even more appealing to me, as it allows for rogue threads to be closed without affecting individuals.

OK if someone spams one of these no-point forums, you can only kill the thread..........we do have the facility to report to moderators do we not?

Just my thoughts

Computer Forensics
    *FART*
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

hmmm... "Antionline Addict Forum" needs at least 275 posts....

"lets increase my posts, so i can get in there to see wats so special"

oh wat the hell....

rgds
    de

Well what the he.l..heck I suppose that those that do not live on-line and become a net personality all have valid points me just been around like forever because it was the first place to get valid info back in the old days...like 1996 is new. Anyway I come seach find stuff I want to tech few well why because unless I know a poster in person or through a phone call well out here post and invent all ya want. You as valid as your job and bosses view you is how important you are. My post count here and green points mean nothing affect my life like ZERO...unless this is where I get my ego scratched. Make the point system what you wish, the greens or reds or gray what ever it is this year. Shrughs finding fault is a simple matter correcting problems another, and well life includes this stuff now days. I hold no special knowledge except the wisdom of knowing where and when to use it. That is called old age...so excuse me I'll have the wife scratch my back...see another child move to an advanced degree. I'm gonna get stroked tonigth is my 51 birthday...people will call me not email me a card. I have to give it to the marketing people Bill$ selling a damn watch from Swatch that wil l give me the Temp, when all I have to do is go outside...there is innovation LOL...what post cpunt was this I lost track? I'm old....LOL...Jeftro Tull Next Time
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg