Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows hacking

Unhappy windows hacking

hi friends
    how to hide a folder in windows XP professional

Antionline Herpetologist
    Right click on folder->Select Properties->Tick the Hidden Attribute.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Remember Security through Obscurity is not the way to go!

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

I usually go to properties then click the Customize tab, the click the Change icon button and select the blank icon (13th column, seconds row) and click Apply and OK , aftet that right click the folder and click rename, hold down the ALT key and type in 255 (in the numeric keybad), now you have an invisible folder, don't forget where you left it though.....
    O.G at A.O

Originally posted here by MilitantEidolon
    Remember Security through Obscurity is not the way to go!

- MilitantEidolon
    While I respect the intent, I 100% do not agree with this statement standing by itself with
    no caveat or qualification. In a layered security model "obscurity" most certainly can
    play an important roll.

Without supporting information placing your logic into context, this is nothing more than
    cliche.

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    Originally posted here by ©opy®ight
    I hold down the ALT key and type in 255 (in the numeric keybad), now you have an invisible folder, don't forget where you left it though.....
    Well u mean renaming the folder with ASCII will make it safe, there is very simply way to unlock the folder which is rename in this way.
    Goto command prompt, browse to the folder left click on the command prompt menu and u will see an option of edit then click mark.

Now u will see that u can highlight any thing from the whole screen, simply highlight that ascii mark which is appearing with the folder name enter this will copy that ascii character and then type the rename command n from the same menu paste the character now u can change it without knowing the number or code.

I found this trick very helpful cause i saw lots of such folders in my university lab.......
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

You might try a utility such as Scramdisk. This creates a hidden, password protected, virtual drive on your machine.

Just put your folders in that drive.

Well u mean renaming the folder with ASCII will make it safe, there is very simply way to unlock the folder which is rename in this way.
    It won't make it safe but it will make it invisible, and if somebody knows where the folder is he can simply go to right click-> rename and type in whatever namwe they want to, they don't need cmd to do it.
    O.G at A.O

My laptop has a smart card reader, I have found that using the software along with that has helped quite a bit. It makes the file availabel only if you insert the correct card. Now where did I leave that smart card.....
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

Dear All,
    Alcatel PABX can not transfer how can it work ?