Thread: dial up connection

dial up connection

Dear all,
    I have a problem with my internet connection. Everytime when I try dial up and connect to internet very hard to get connected for more then 2 minutes.It disconnected damn often. Do you all think this is a problem with my modem or with my software. But this thing happen (if it not coincidence) when my box effected with trojan(forget the name) and worm korgo virus. I never face this kind of problem before.It only happen after get effected with this virus. But sometimes I have a very good connection. But very hard to have a good connection anymore.very seldom.(mean can online without disconnected). Should I download DUN or wat ever the name it to improve my connection?I'm running windows xp.
    Thank for your help.

Have you gotten rid of the virus? have you run an anti virus program to make sure you have no more virii on your machine?

Are all your internet connection settings correct as to what your ISP states?

Have you tried ringing your ISP's tech support? And if so what did they say?

Well this is not an easy one as you say that you do get a good connection sometimes.

1. Is this a dial-up connection and what speed is it (56.6/ADSL/DSL) Put your pointer on the little icon in your system tray and see what speed it is connecting at?

For 56.6 this sould be between 43 and 52k. If you are getting significantly lower values then that means that there is a problem with your connection.

2. If you have been infected, then I would make sure that it has been cleaned.

Get AdAware SE, Spybot Search & Destroy and then update them. Reboot into safe mode and run them. Let them clean what they find and run the immunise function in spybot.

Update your AV pattern/definition files and then run it in safe mode.

Remember that you will have to disable the restore function in Win XP first.

Let us know what you find.

You might also just want to check the cabeling since we are heading towards winter humidity is up
    The ideal weather for corroding connectors etc try a diff cable take a glance at the walloutlets
    Can't hurt to check and keep the cable as short as possible of course.
    but my guess is you have some leftovers from your previous peril like nihil said
    Let us know what you find.
    \" I love fools and mistakes i\'m alway\'s making them \" (Charles Darwin)

Thanks all for a quick reply.
    1.Virus - I think I had get rid of the virus because when I run online scanning, scan using my norton antivirus, no virus was found. I believe my system is clean right now.
    2.Tech support- I never rang a tech support. And I think my internet connection setting is fine coz I never mess up with it.
    3.Dial up- I'm using dial up (56k). The highest speed I can get is 42K. I think that is normal coz that is the connection speed I always had. But recently the speed I can get is around 4.8k - 38.8k. And it get disconnected very fast.Right now I had up to date antivirus and have Spybot Search & Destroy running at my system since the first time I used this comp.
    4.The cable- For first place I do suspect the cable also. But after I check seem like there is nothing wrong with the cable. And 1 more thing this cable I'm using for quite a long time already mean if the problem come from the cable how this problem accour only now.
    5.Do you all think DUN software, tweak or wat ever can solve this problem. I'm going to try this type of software but I think I have to download it from cyber cafe.

Well when I had 56k my internet disconnected on it's own I got StayConnected, worked for me maybe it'll work for you. http://www.inklineglobal.com/products/sc/ here is a downloadable version (I think it's demo) http://www.snapfiles.com/get/staycon.html Hope it helps
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Thanks all for a quick reply.
    1.Virus - I think I had get rid of the virus because when I run online scanning, scan using
    my norton antivirus, no virus was found. I believe my system is clean right now.
    2.Tech support- I never rang a tech support. And I think my internet connection setting is fine coz I never mess up with it.
    3.Dial up- I'm using dial up (56k). The highest speed I can get is 42K. I think that is
    normal coz that is the connection speed I always had. But recently the speed I can get is
    around 4.8k - 38.8k. And it get disconnected very fast.Right now I had up to date antivirus
    and have Spybot Search & Destroy running at my system since the first time I used this
    comp.
    4.The cable- For first place I do suspect the cable also. But after I check seem like there
    is nothing wrong with the cable. And 1 more thing this cable I'm using for quite a long
    time already mean if the problem come from the cable how this problem accour only now.
    5.Do you all think DUN software, tweak or wat ever can solve this problem. I'm going to try
    this type of software but I think I have to download it from cyber cafe.

Sory coz have 2 reply. I just press submit button, coz it take me (I dunno how many time I have to redial. luckly can post. thank q to you all.

Hi y2k,

3.Dial up- I'm using dial up (56k). The highest speed I can get is 42K. I think that is normal coz that is the connection speed I always had. But recently the speed I can get is
    around 4.8k - 38.8k.
    That sounds like your problem. You need to talk to your telephone company/ISP and find out what is going on, and check your connection.

We have exactly the same problem over here with dial-up. If it does not make a connection at the "normal" speed for your connection, it will drop the connection very quicky.

Maybe your telephone company can increase the "gain" on your line as well. I say this, because 42 is very much the bottom end. I get 49.2, although my friend, who is only 500 yards from me only gets 43

Good luck

EDIT: This will not be resolved by software. I think the problem is outside your house, so start with your telephone company.