Never seen something like this

Thread: Never seen something like this

Never seen something like this

Ok here it is:

I created a folder place some files in it on the desktop. I had it there for a couple of day. I restarted the PC a few times throughout that period. Now last night i tried to delete the folder but the mouse symbol changes as if its loading but nothing happens i checked the task manager and eveything is normal the explorer process seems normal. to stop from loading or whatever its doing i end the explorer.exe process and start it again and everything is normal. I can go into the folder but cant delete it or see its properties if i right click the same thing happens.

Now from the command line i can rename it. I can move it which i did to temp and try to clean the system it was still there. I created a new folder and placed it there the parent folder now behaves the same cant do anythign with parent folder. when i try and delete it form the command line it say it did but its still there.

I created a new user with admin privildges and tried to rename it works but if i try and delete it from the command line its says the folder can not be found although its there and i can rename it.

Does anyone know what is going on. My antivirus software is pretty up to date. i have TDS-3 on my pc so it doesnt seem like its a malicious thing.

If anyone has any info

Im using XP pro

thanks alot

I just tried copying the folder onto a USB stick to see how it would behave on another pc it wont allow me to move or copy to the USB stick

Any ideas?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Try taking ownership of the folder and it's contents and then try deleting it or whatever you are trying to do to it.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

At first, your access issue seemed like it may be related to some disk corruption but then you said you could move the file which you can't do a lot of times with a bad disk.

Does it act the same if you are in safe mode? I'd maybe try a defrag and a CHKDSK and/or an online virus scan.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Tiger shark thanks but i just noted that every folder i create on my system now acts this way. So its not that folder alone. I have been playing around with the services but i doubt something that i disabled caused this. However, i will keep trying to fix it up and i will let you know if i find out what is going on..

Thanks though

Banned
    Sounds like you might have somehow screwed up permissions?

I'm just throwing something out here... Is it an NTFS volume?

My apologies for taking up your time. I right click on the folder and left it like that for about 3-4 minutes and the menu poped up and i was able to delete. To tell you the truth im not sure what is going on but if i do i will let you know.

Again sorry for wasting yoru time

Is this a lesson in what is it called social emgineering? Oh a problem here is the folder never see it before. Funny di not get the file fummy nothing happened? Go figure
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Banned
    WTF?

Palemoon, ya need to roll them thinner.