I knew there was a reason why I didn't like the idea of "Online Voting"...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I knew there was a reason why I didn't like the idea of "Online Voting"...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

I knew there was a reason why I didn't like the idea of "Online Voting"...

How accurate this is I dunno (haven't searched Google yet) but if this is anywhere close to the truth, it's going to be a contested election. I have a suspicion that the touch screens may be a tad too sensitive... Has anyone done any early voting and had an experience like this?

Source: ABQJournal

Some Early Voters Say Machines Mark Incorrect Choices

By Jim Ludwick
    Journal Staff Writer
    Kim Griffith voted on Thursday— over and over and over.
    She's among the people in Bernalillo and Sandoval counties who say they have had trouble with early voting equipment. When they have tried to vote for a particular candidate, the touch-screen system has said they voted for somebody else.
    It's a problem that can be fixed by the voters themselves— people can alter the selections on their ballots, up to the point when they indicate they are finished and officially cast the ballot.
    For Griffith, it took a lot of altering.
    She went to Valle Del Norte Community Center in Albuquerque, planning to vote for John Kerry. "I pushed his name, but a green check mark appeared before President Bush's name," she said.
    Griffith erased the vote by touching the check mark at Bush's name. That's how a voter can alter a touch-screen ballot.
    She again tried to vote for Kerry, but the screen again said she had voted for Bush. The third time, the screen agreed that her vote should go to Kerry.
    She faced the same problem repeatedly as she filled out the rest of the ballot. On one item, "I had to vote five or six times," she said.
    Michael Cadigan, president of the Albuquerque City Council, had a similar experience when he voted at City Hall.
    "I cast my vote for president. I voted for Kerry and a check mark for Bush appeared," he said.
    He reported the problem immediately and was shown how to alter the ballot.
    Cadigan said he doesn't think he made a mistake the first time. "I was extremely careful to accurately touch the button for my choice for president," but the check mark appeared by the wrong name, he said.
    Bernalillo County Clerk Mary Herrera said she doesn't believe the touch-screen system has been making mistakes. It's the fault of voters, she said Thursday.
    Cadigan, for example, could have "leaned his palm on the touch screen and it hit the wrong button," she said.
    In Sandoval County, three Rio Rancho residents said they had a similar problem, with opposite results. They said a touch-screen machine switched their presidential votes from Bush to Kerry.
    Bureau of Elections Manager Eddie Gutierrez also said he doesn't believe there are problems with the machines.
    But Gutierrez did replace one after someone complained— even though he found nothing wrong with it.
    "He (the voter) felt so strongly about it, that I shut it down," Gutierrez said.
    Herrera said she's heard stories from Democrats and Republicans. In some cases, when people have tried to vote a straight ticket, the screen has given their votes to every candidate in the opposite political party, she said.
    She believes it's a people problem. "I have confidence in the machines," she said. "They are touch screens. People are touching them with their palms, or leaning their hand. ... They're hitting the wrong button."
    Herrera and others said voters should be diligent about reviewing their touch-screen ballots so they can make alterations.
    Griffith said she's afraid some votes will go to the wrong candidates by accident. "People need to know that they have to be careful," she said.
    "I'm concerned that people who don't check and double-check will try to vote for a candidate and not realize that the vote went to another candidate," she said.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Here is the answer, you use your finger and if you touch your palm to the screen it won't work. Here is what I have been reading from the political left:

Punch holes don't work
    Coloring in dots doesn't work
    Touch screens don't work
    Light pens don't work

What's next ... anyone?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

How about the old fashioned put in an "X marks the spot"? Works in Canada.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

LOL, that's what I meant by coloring in the circles. We have that here, but still there is some who think that it messes up because one "might" color or check outside the box. In my opinion those shouldnt be counted, they are either stupid or intentionally messing up the system for thier benefit, a system that all of a sudden stopped working after a hundred years.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Hehe.... why dont we just get them both into a drinking contest and the last person to hit the floor wins? works in russia.

There seem to be too many complaints for there not to be something wrong with the touchscreens. i dont know how it works over in the US... but to stop confusion wouldnt it be advantageous to have large, spaced buttons on the screen so that they are too big to miss.

I have confidence in the machines," she said. "They are touch screens. People are touching them with their palms, or leaning their hand. ... They're hitting the wrong button."
    Is she confidant enough to give a live demonstration of trying to hit the right button?

"I'm concerned that people who don't check and double-check will try to vote for a candidate and not realize that the vote went to another candidate,"
    ok, so that might change the outcome of the election, but in reality, who would know and so what?? those who did mess up and didnt notice, still believe that they voted for who they want. and even though they still lost, thats just a given as to who most votes went to.... but they still believe that they made the right vote? if that makes sense.

I would have to say i much prefer the old paper ballot, at least you are sure within yourself its done right, and that a machine isnt giving false readings.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Reminds me of self checkout machines. I love watching the confusion caused by those "stupid machines" as the users describe them. Little do the users know, garbage in >> garbage out
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

i think is kinda weird using touch screen devices for voting. Too many ppl at same time, using dirty fingers on screen ... path for a disaster.

Here we use eletronic voting system, but we use the classical approach - video + keyboard. ppl use to be more confortable with keyboards (here). You need to key your candidate number and press some colored keys to confirm after that is correct (like green to confirm and red to cancel)
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

I actually like the ole' "X" next to their name. I mean honestly, who can screw it up from there? Then again....
    Space For Rent.. =]

Here is a camera capture of one of the voters..

Microsoft version mms://streamingmedia.cyso.nl/cyso.nl/Voting_Machine.wmv
    Apple version http://www.boomchicago.nl/images/Voting_Machine.mov
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I mean honestly, who can screw it up from there? Then again....
    You'd be amazed. Part of it is the number of candidates that can run (here in Toronto one year they had something like 50 for mayor). I've been an elections officer and it's interesting to see how people mark. That said, I suspect that the amount of questionable ballots would be far less on X marked ballots than electronic or other methods.