Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP SP2 set passwords, cant log on

Angry XP SP2 set passwords, cant log on

I am trying to help my friend who was running XP SP1 with multi-users and no passwords. 2 weeks after he installed SP2 his computer starts asking for passwords. We have been trying to create an XP boot disk or cd to get to a command prompt and copy off his files before we run the restore CD, but have been unsucessful so far.

Any advice????

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    NT Offline Password and Registry Editor Floppy/CD <--- change admin password and then access to everything is created. It'd be better to use the passwords (this is a good idea) than not. So once admin access is possible, set passwords for each account that can be remembered and voila, problem solved .
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I had found that on the web, and spent hours trying to get it to work. It tells me that since the password is blank, it cannot be changed.

And this may be a stupid question but have you tried logging in with Administrator and <blank> as the password?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

I have tried using the user name, blank, password, admin, administrator, all in a variety of caps and mixed combinations.

Did you rename the administrator account? That could cause problems logging in.
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

Is this XP Home or Professional?

XP home

no other changes have neen made

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? IIRC, Home defaults to the Administrator as the log in in Safe Mode (press the F8 key during bootup (after POST but before Windows starts). If this works, then change and set a password on one of your regular users. Then reboot into regular mode and see if you can log in.

Originally posted here by hubidaddy
    I have tried using the user name, blank, password, admin, administrator, all in a variety of caps and mixed combinations.
    Mabye I'm misunderstanding you?

You typed

Username: Administrator
    Password: blank

????

Or you just typed

Username: Administrator
    Passowrd:

for the password, don't enter anthing. When it says the password is blank, it is not the word "blank"... there is NO password to change. So, just press enter after you type ther username.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.