Thread: Bad Sector Removal

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Angry Bad Sector Removal

I have a question regarding BAD SECTOR in harddisk. Is there any tool available for its removel or not. What i know about the Bad sector is that its physically damages portion of the harddisk, so i think its not gonna be repair. Tell me your opinion is it recoverable or not if yes which software is available there?.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Your best bet would be to run scandisk in dos mode. long time since i remember doing this... it wasnt a special program, it was just the old scandisk i think.

Anyways, if you run that through it will pick up on bad sectors and deny access to them from that point forward. i wouldnt know if there are any current tools that allows you to do this in windows or otherwise.....

sorry i couldnt help further

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Go to the hard drive manufacturer's site and download their diagnostic tool and run it in accordance with the instructions that they give.

This will isolate the bad sectors, and allow you to use the good part of the drive.

Run scandisk/chkdsk with logging/reporting option turned on (advanced settings) That will tell you the extent of the damage.

Check regularly to see if the damaged portion gets larger. If it does, get a new hard drive immediately! I, personally would not be happy with using a damaged HDD these days.

You cannot "repair" a physically damaged sector, only prevent it from being used.

Good luck

Just Another Geek
    If an IDE disk starts showing bad sectors, replace it. IDE automaticly maps out bad sectors, so it seems like your reserved space is depleted. This will mean more and more bad sectors as time progresses. If you still have warranty, return it, you'll get a new one. If not, buy a new one while you're still able to read your data.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Some "bad sectors" are a media failure .. some are a magnatised area of the disk surface.. I have had some success with HDD Regenerator.. last one I used was on Hirens Boot CD.. has prevented a few hdd's from a short trip to the tip.. have salvaged data from some cd's thanks to hdd regen
    that tool and the HDD manufacturers tools.. mentioned above..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

in simple words (as i found out) nothing really helps, get a back up of the data and kiss you r hard disk good bye, the day is not far when you see a disk boot faliure.
    i had a 40 gb seagate hard disk whic got some bad sectors i did all the above said things , got to the manufactures site ,downloaded tools and all the crap......it did slow the the crash for a few months but one fine morning "PLEASE INSERT BOOT DISK"

so back up that data.

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    Well thanx for all that I know i have to get a new one sooner or later, but the only reason wht i posted this messages is to atleast carry on with the current HDD for a while. Cause its still 10 days left till next month. (until i get salary).

Anyway once again thanx for all ur feedback. Its workin at the moment. N hope fully will move slowly but steadily till i got the new one.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

just kiss your harddisk good bye.

common cause of hard drive failure.. Heat..

Test:
    run system for one hour.. be sure to be oing some hdd intensive work.. virus scan and or a defrag..

after the hour .. remove the towers outer case/side.. place index finger tip on the top metal surface of the HDD.. and press firmly..for a slow count to 10 if the surface is warn to very warm.. you will have very few problems.
    If on the other hand it is extreemly hot and you are unable keep your finger there for the full 10 seconds with out the distinct aroma of burning meat.. you HDD and any replacements will die after a short life..
    Also If the PC is in an area subjected to lots of vibration..ie ithe tower is sitting on top of a 200w sub-woofer, .. you also will encounter hdd failure problems..

It is always good form to have your data backed up.. regardles how well things are running..

BTW : yourdeadin.. if your dead hdd's haven't lived in the types of enviroments mentioned above. send me a PM.. I will take the bodies off your hands.. the drives that I have rejuvinated that had not been subject to those enviroments or high humidity and did not have a controller card problem ( - they die with no hint)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr