Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No BioS!!

No BioS!!

I have had the weirdest thing happen. My parents computer has been sitting on a DSL connection for about 5 days now. They complained about slowdowns on the machine and asked me to look at it. So I said I would get to it (seeing as I have a ton of test coming up) but I told them how to DL Ad-ware and housecall.trendmicro.com to make sure that all the obvious reasons were out of the way. So they called me and told me that their monitor was frozen and they couldn't get a display. I told them I would stop over in between classes. So I get to the computer and:

[problem]

The monitor is not frozen, it is simply not getting any signal from the comp that it is turned on. So my first Idea was swap monitors with one that I know works and button-boot. However, that didn't work out so I ruled out the monitor.

Next I watched as the system booted and the HDD light stayed orange then yellow and remained constant. It didn't even boot to the bios. Hmm... So I threw in a boot CD not luck.. Then a Startup disk and still nothing.

I pulled the HD and scanned overnight which came up with many different trojans (viruses scan is attached file in JPG format.). I cleaned the HD and plopped it back in the machine and booted.

Now I am wondering what is wrong with this machine.

It is an e-machine running Win Xp Home Edition SP1 (I believe I am not sure if it was automatically updated or not).

I am wondering if it is just the motherboard because the bios doesn't even come up or anything.

Please HELP!!!

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Any beeps? Does the CPU fan come on? I'd start by reseating memory, cards (if everything isn't integrated) and the power connector.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

********** |ceWriterguy
    Sounds like 2 different problems at work. Do you happen to have a different video card lying about somewhere you can pop in? I'd suspect that as far as the no monitor thing. The rest is trojans and possibly a virii, which I know you can fix.

Luck to you!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi,

does it beep ?

there are various possibilites....................loose RAM Sticks or a loose PCI card................you will have to check it one by one.

here is what i wouls have done................remove all the PCI cards and the RAM Sticks ...............put the Ram Stick in and then boot again and go about it one by one ..................try cleaning the Joints of cards with alchol.........might be dust and dirt

Does the CPU fan works?

--Good Luck--

[EDIT] Gotta Pick up some speed Gotta Pick up some speed Gotta Pick up some speed

and on reading BlackIce post is the monitor getting sink form the Dispaly Card.............like mine if it dosen't get signels form the Card it will just start to blink colors ..

No beeps..

It is a integrated board with a 2200+ AMD athlon XP Processor, 256 mb ram

I pulled the ram (as that is the only thing to pull) cleaned it and replaced.

[edit]
    The fan works fine
    [/edit]

- MilitantEidolon

Do you know M/B manufacturer name?
    Some M/B use to present this strange behavior.

Do a small test: Remove all memory sticks AND turn PC on.

Your M/B must be at least beep to alert you the memory missing (im thinking that your mobo has that feature - some crap ones dont have)

If MB beeps, at least its alive.

Because if you cant get vga signal, no beeps, everything turns on and HD light remains constant on (or off) looks like that your MB is dead.

as Dr Bones "He is dead, Jim"
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

I think no beeps is usually power supply or system board. Can you see which name is on the BIOS chip?
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ouch. Integrated mb. It still sounds like a video issue - since it's integrated, the mb is now suspect. I hate bearing bad tidings bro, but it might be fried - take a sniff of it yet?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I sniffed it but nothing abnormal.

I even checked the board for any black/brown spots and nothing out of the ordinary.

I am really sorta annoyed with this. I will be testing some other things along with this.

Will try a few other suggestions.

- MilitantEidolon

common causes of "No BOOT", No POST (power On Self Test) , I am assuming that the memory and drive testing isn't happening. Most of these have been covered, what i haven't seen is :

CMOS Battery.. if the battery has died you can expect a no boot..no post symptom
    it is also possable that one of the Trojans (you haven't named any..I assumed they were the Adware breed) may have reprogrammed the BIOS.

you havent fully cleared the RAM.. test with a known good stick or use that stick in another machine.
    Yes the MoBo could be dead and so could the CPU..
    any PCI Cards
    Even a dead Cd-Rom drive (read that as CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-R/RW)..that is a IDE Device failure..
    Evena Crappy USB Device will do this.
    disconnect ALL devices from the the system.. leave just your monitor , no hdd, no optical drives, no PCI Cards, no mouse or keyboard, oh and if it has one ..disconnect the Floppy (And disconnect I mean remove the IDE /data cables from the drives.. and any card removed from the machine, , all other devices cables removed from the front back top bottom of the machine..

eliminate something.. you haven't realy elliminated anything yet
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr