Thread: Compaq 7360 + Deskstar

Question Compaq 7360 + Deskstar

Hello all! This is my second post here!

I have a Compaq Presario 7360 and it has a standard 10GB hard drive. Now I got this new Deskstar 40GB hard drive because I want to upgrade the hard drive to a bigger one and I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work. I plug it in and start up the computer and it doesn't recognize it. I hear the drive power up just fine and there is nothing wrong with the cables. I know that because I'm running this 10gig on the same cable right now. I've tried a bunch of different pin configurations and I've tried it with nothing but the 40gig drive plugged in but it still doesn't work. I've looked at the hard drive manufacturers website and it doesn't have anything related to this particular issue. It did however have a download for a diagnostic program which is supposed to find the drive and test it if it's there but it can't find it either. Does anybody know whats going on. I hope it's not that this computer can't handle it. I really need more space and this 40gig is all I can do for now.

Here is some info for the 40gig:

Manufacturer: Hitachi
    Model Name: Deskstar
    Capacity: 41.1GB
    RPM: 7200RPM
    Model #: HDS722540VLAT20
    Serial #: C1R521NM
    Pin #: 14R9245

Any help you guys can provide will be GREATLY appreciated.

hmm..
    a AMD K6-2-500 cpu..
    built in or about 2000..

I assume you have tried to get the BIOS to detect the drive.. F2 or is it f10 on boot to get into the setup..
    Also the normal cable setup (you will find one strand of the original IDE Cable snipped) it is Cable select.. so the HDD has to be set to cable select mode.. (CS) ..
    I havent tried installing a 40G hdd in a compaq of that era .. I don't think it has the 32Gb limit..

let us know IF you haven't alreeady tried detecting it in BIOS..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I think Undies is right and it is a BIOS issue. Try going to the manufacturer's site and getting the bootable installation diskette. This should have a large HDD management program such as EZDrive on it.

If you boot from this diskette it should detect the drive and install the management program.

If CS (cable select) doesn't work, try Master.

The management program overrides the BIOS on boot up.

I have a Digital Venturis PI/133 which is quite happy with 60Gb and 14.4Gb drives using this method. The BIOS would only recognise 8.4Gb naturally.

If that doesn't work, set the drive jumper to "Slave" and try it in another machine...........it is just possible that you have a dud drive.

Good luck

I have already tried detecting it in the BIOS. It's not there. I also tried some things you guys suggested. I tried setting it to cable select and it didn't work. I also tried setting it to slave and that didn't work either. I also tried just about every piece of software the manufacturers site had but none of them could detect it either. I don't have any other computer to test this on. I am out of ideas here.

Have you created the bootable floppy?

With the jumper set to master, and the drive at the end of the cable, boot from the floppy. That should detect the HDD unless it is already deceased.

You may have to get a friend to test the drive for you.

Well actually I currently don't know anyone around here so I can't test it else where. Also this is my only computer as of right now so I can't test it on another computer.

I went to the hard drive manufacturers site and they don't have a software like you described.

Have you gone into setup and the "Standard BIOS/CMOS" settings. You should seee a sort of "table" with "Pri Master", "Pri Slave", "Sec Master", "Sec Slave", "Floppy A", "Floppy B"?

Tab down to the "Type" column of the "Pri Master". Change this to "Auto" or "autodetect", you may even have a function key "Detect All HDDs" Try that. Make sure that LBA Mode is set to "On".

Save your settings and reboot into setup............it should have found your HDD.

NOTE: Attach the drive as the only drive at the end of the cable with the jumpers set to "master"

I don't have those settings in my BIOS. This BIOS is very limited. The most I can do is change the boot order and the new drive doesn't show up on that list so that doesn't even help.

Well,

I guess you now have to talk to Compaq (HP as they are now) or get a HDD with an installation disk. To put it very bluntly, you are screwed

I am sorry that I cannot help, but I would have checked the machine first, and not bought a disk without an installation program.

I am afraid that's the way it goes.

See if you can swap the disk? (HDD)