Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PSU problems?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Well would it only be the USB ports giving me problems if the mobo was dead?
    It would do, if you killed the USB wire.

Start saving.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    It would do, if you killed the USB wire.

Start saving.
    Wouldn't USB stuff be closer to the southbridge, and not CPU socket?

Wouldn't USB stuff be closer to the southbridge, and not CPU socket?
    That would depend on the MoBo design. I have several boxes that have USB connectors at the front AND back of the case.

If your MoBo has USB1 and USB2 pins, but only connections at one end of the case, you might try switching the connection plug?

You can damage a MoBo and it will still work, it all depends on what it is that you damaged, as to what will still work.

Cheers

Originally posted here by nihil

If your MoBo has USB1 and USB2 pins, but only connections at one end of the case, you might try switching the connection plug?

Cheers
    Yeah, I tried switching the internal connectors, same problems, doesn't matter if it's the ports on the front or the back of my case...

Hmmm,

I am clutching at straws here, but can you go into Device Manager and expand the USB controller icon. What can you see............are there any red "x"s or yellow exclamation marks?

It might also be an idea to check the BIOS to see that USB support is enabled.

Cheers

Hmmm,

I am clutching at straws here, but can you go into Device Manager and expand the USB controller icon. What can you see............are there any red "x"s or yellow exclamation marks?

It might also be an idea to check the BIOS to see that USB support is enabled.

Cheers
    None and it's enabled (would they work at all if it was disabled?)

Sorry, I forgot that you mentioned that the problem was intermittent.

That takes me back to a possible dodgy controller.

On the other hand, there might be an issue with the number of USB devices you have and the power that is available to them. What I am wondering is if the power supply is defective, I would certainly say that it is theoretically large enough.

Another possibility is the quality of your mains power supply. Do your lights flicker or your TV act up now and then? (it would be a brownout, rather than a surge)

Is there any connection between the printer running and these failures?

Or is it a USB problem at all? Can you attach PS/2 devices to your machine? It might just be that your system is freezing/hanging. That happens with PS/2 devices as well. OK you can sometimes resolve the the issue by changing the port, but that is one of the features of USB, you CAN move devices in mid flight. With PS/2 you have to reboot.

If possible, please try using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard for a while and see if you still get the problem. That would at least confirm that it is or isn't a USB problem.

Cheers

That's the odd part...it will do it with ps/2 stuff sometimes too, which is why I dont like to use ps/2, because when it fails I need to reboot.

And now my screen will flicker on and off for like .5secs intermittently

this is very odd

Do you have another computer that suffers similar problems? or can you borrow one to see if it behaves the same?

If you get the same problem with PS/2 as well then that seems to suggest that it is not a USB problem.

If your screen flickers and cuts out then that sounds like power supply, is it getting its power direct from the mains or through a socket on the computer. If it is through the computer, get a separate cable and supply power to the screen independently.

Where is this happening?............a private house, appartment block, college? what I am asking is can you ask anyone else on the same mains supply if they are getting the same problem?

Cheers

Do you have another computer that suffers similar problems? or can you borrow one to see if it behaves the same?

If you get the same problem with PS/2 as well then that seems to suggest that it is not a USB problem.

If your screen flickers and cuts out then that sounds like power supply, is it getting its power direct from the mains or through a socket on the computer. If it is through the computer, get a separate cable and supply power to the screen independently.

Where is this happening?............a private house, appartment block, college? what I am asking is can you ask anyone else on the same mains supply if they are getting the same problem?

Cheers
    This is at my house, in a suburban development. I have like 4 other computers on right now, and none suffer any similar problems. The screen is plugges into the wall, not a power strip.