Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PSU problems?

Hi,

So we now know that it is a problem with that particular machine.

Can you try it on the sockets that one of the other computers is using............swap them over........I have known a faulty socket cause this sort of thing............you know, a little vibration or whatever. I do not think that this actually is the problem but I am afraid that we are going to have to "chip away at the boulder" on this one and eliminate things one at a time.

It is now very late here so I will have another go later in the day.

Cheers

PS I think that we have made some progress?

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi,

So we now know that it is a problem with that particular machine.

Can you try it on the sockets that one of the other computers is using............swap them over........I have known a faulty socket cause this sort of thing............you know, a little vibration or whatever. I do not think that this actually is the problem but I am afraid that we are going to have to "chip away at the boulder" on this one and eliminate things one at a time.

It is now very late here so I will have another go later in the day.

Cheers

PS I think that we have made some progress?
    Well I'm doing some crap, so I'll move it tomorrow. And I honestly don't know if it's the wall socket, but it can't hurt to try

I think your PSU is an Enermax Noisetaker 470, which should be more than capable of powering your system. IE, it is definately better than all of the paperweight PSU's you'll find bundled with cheap computer cases. I'm pretty sure the problem isn't caused by your PSU. (Review for those interested: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article149-page1.html)

All I can suggest is to grab the latest drivers from Via Arena. And maybe you should grab a Knoppix Live Boot CD and play in Linux for a while and see if your USB stops responding there too. I'm not too sure what the problem could be. It might be due to the dent you made in your motherboard's printed circuits, or it might be something unrelated to that.

BTW, the Southbridge and Northbridge both connect to the CPU at some place. I don't know the pinout of socket 754 and I don't think you want to spend the time trying to figure out where that dented trace goes to, so we'll just have to not spend the time trying to figure that out...

Good luck.

Power is the spice, the spice must flow.

Since everyone talked very pointly and effectively about the power supply, drivers etc... I'll stab at the USB itself.

I have seen cases where there is not enough power to the usb devices. Especially bluetooth. This could be isolation circuitry for each port or just some hungry devices. I would imagine there is some flow control within the power supply to keep power drain on each link (including USB) to a certain level. But that is just a guess.

What I am leading too is.. do any of these devices have their own power supply? If so they are not leeching off the PSU (assuming their own transformer is working at peak). If they don't have their own power supply then try a powered USB hub. That takes the load off the PSU in the box and puts it on the hub. They must be self powered and many do not actually boost the USB port power so shop around.

The fact that you can move them, forcing windows to reread the bus, seems to point to all the above. Which make me think... are there any good USB burn in diagnostic programs or devices out there? The latest version of CheckIt comes with a USB loopback so I bet it does. I own an older copy.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Hey,

RoadClosed, that is what I was getting at with:

On the other hand, there might be an issue with the number of USB devices you have and the power that is available to them. What I am wondering is if the power supply is defective, I would certainly say that it is theoretically large enough.
    However, the answers to later questions suggest that he has the same problem with PS/2 device connections?

That suggests a non-USB/PS/2 problem?

I am starting to think RAM or apps conflicts?

It is one hell of an interesting one though

Cheers

Sounds like he or she needs a visit to Asus. (Nihil has likes Asus based on the Motherboard thread)

Cheers.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Well I've done nothing, and the problem seems to have fixed itself...
    Maybe a temporary issue with the electric company?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    You might want to Google up on power smoothing, voltage dependant resistors [VDR's], and if you have the funds, uninterruptable power supplies [UPS's] these have an inbuilt smoothing and maintaining ability.

You just cannot trust those pesky supply people to keep the power steady
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone