socks proxy?

Thread: socks proxy?

socks proxy?

id like to use a socks client/proxy from my home computer to be able to administer remotes on a vpn while im on call. can this be done?

as it is right now i can pcanywhere into the HQ network and access the remotes (HQ=10.0.0.0 remotes 192.168.0.0) but this way isn't all that great.
    i have a fw/vpn client at home to access the hq network. i could allow my subnet access to all the other subnets but thats allot of configuring and i might need to allow a few others to do the same.

if i put a socks client on my home computer and point it to a socks proxy on the hq network will every network application on my machine have access to all the subnets that the box running the proxy does? or am i not understanding socks correctly?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    A SOCKS proxy simply put, transfers data from a client to a server, without adding into the data content. I *think* I know what you're getting at. Are you trying to get your HQ to see one client from your end while you jam data through from any app on your home PC? If so, yes (with the exception of certain protocols not supported directly by SOCKS proxys). From the endpoint server's point of view, the traffic is coming from one place. I hope I understand you correctly.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

im sorry i guess i didn't give enough info. id like to be able to do things from my home computer like loop threw all the subnets getting process lists using pslist and every thing else i would normally do from my computer on the hq network like net start telnet using psexec, telnet in and tftp updates for in house software.

but yes i want the f/w (watchguard) to see all my traffic as coming from the box in hq's network running the proxy to allow me to access all the 192 networks without including every single one into the configuration for my 192* network, vpn'ing from home. im under the impression that some socks clients will do this for all network apps, but thats where im asking for clarification. i could use tight vnc but the lag causes me to get ahead of myself on tasks i repeat often.

more simply put i would like my home computer to act as if it were part of the 10.* network. i can now access all the 10* machines but thats only a part of what i need access to.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”