Thread: win2k server missing atapi.sys file

win2k server missing atapi.sys file

I have two copies of win2k server, they are legit, and in perfect condition. When I start the win setup for the install it begins to copy the nessecary files. This is after windows inspects hardware. While it is copying the files I get the message that the file atapi.sys is corrupt or missing, and the setup halts. I can press the enter key to keep on going and continue with the install, but now I have an OS that 9 out of 10 times will blue screen during boot up. I have installed XP, 2k3 server, 2k4 server, mandrake 10.0, 10.1, RH 7.3, on this very same computer, and it currently runs all of them with no problem. Last time I had something similar to this, it turned out to be my memory, but since the other OSs install perfectly it can't be that.
    dreadbeast

AOs Resident Troll
    Depending on your controller\MB..you may need an updated atapi.sys.

I think you push S during the first part of setup(sorry ..only 1 coffee so far )

... this will allow you to insert a floopy with your controller\MB atapi.sys...and then you should be able to finish your setup.

MLF

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;822051

try this from MS KB
    depending on your BSOD error
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I tried the udated atapi.sys file, but it didn't work. I started getting the same message about other files. Every time I tried to install win2k server it would hang on a different file. I decided to get crazy, I decided to try the brute force method, I tried installing it 27 times in a row, and I finally got through on the 27th time. This is not something you'd find in an MCSE handbook, but it seemed to get the job done this time. Thanks for your insight
    dreadbeast

AOs Resident Troll
    MS Servers are very fussy and have specific hardware requirements...specially with the newer versions

I know..cause I have dealt with their PSS on several issues

and if they find out you have a piece of hardware not on their HCL...the support is over.
    (all the problems you are having will be because of that hardware...no matter what )

Also something with your issue is that you may have remnants of you previous OSes hanging around...or a 3rd party disk\partition management software which is interfering with the install???

Just thoughts.

I recently had to install a server...hardware was all server class..and I still had to format and reinstall...3 times..cause of various errors..hotfixes\sps needed...etc....
    and with it being a server...I dont like errors on an install.

So I wiped it clean...and started again and again...........

Just think...of all the experience you have gained

And i am sure there are plenty of MCSEs out there that have never installed a server 27 times

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I ended up having the most troubles with my integrated sound card, an AC97. This is on the server 2000 HCL. Everytime I booted up after the install I'd get the blue screen, telling me that there was an error loading the portcls.sys file. I looked it up and found that in win 2000 portcls (port class library) is an audio driver. So having installed the driver that comes with the mother board and having checked the HCL, only to find AC97 is compatable. I turned to trusty old google. I found a link with a driver, installed it, and now have no problems yet.

On another note, the Mandrake 10.1 I have on the same hard drive, different partition is running like a charm, except I can't get it to recognize my usb 2.0......

It's like killing a horse fly with an atom bomb!
    dreadbeast