Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many processes, so little time

So many processes, so little time

Hi! Searching for an all in one webpage that'll say which processes should be on and which ones should not in addition to which processes I should disable as an average user is not likley to use them. I know how to access the administraive part of Xp that can allow you to either disable, set to manuel or automatic a specific function. Many of these are set to manuel and automatic however if I could disable the ones I would never use them I might get this comp running just a bit faster. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

AO French Antique News Whore
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Cool site, thanks. Is there anything else out there that explains which Serivices under Administrative Options I need and will likley use and which ones I will never use (being an average user)?

Now I am lazy and prefer to have some one collect all that data and guide me step by step through all the processes.

Actually Black Viper has a web page that does just that. Check it out: http://www.blackviper.com/
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Quite Funny. I noticed Black Vipers website a few weeks ago. Tried all the mods eaxctly the way he configured them and the next time I rebooted I couldn't get online. I lost confidence in him after that although that is definatley the platform I'm searching for.

OFFTOPIC:

BlackViper is too funny.
    His rant about JackInTheBox is legendary...lol

http://www.blackviper.com/TheRant/jackinthebox.htm

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    soma56, you could also try:
    Services Guide for Windows XP
    Scroll down towards the bottom. It's got a list of services and links to brief descriptions and if those services are needed or not depending on your setup. Make sure you understand the color coded system before you dive into the links. It's explained just slightly above the links.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

ShagDevil - cool. I needed a second opinion other than Black Viper. That website is worth a read. Thanks.

Originally posted here by soma56
    Quite Funny. I noticed Black Vipers website a few weeks ago. Tried all the mods eaxctly the way he configured them and the next time I rebooted I couldn't get online. I lost confidence in him after that although that is definatley the platform I'm searching for.
    Soma,

The trick is to NOT disable all the services. He does mention that your mileage will vary if you disable some services i.e. DHCP client if you have broadband. The trick if your connection does go south (like mine did) is to take a reductive approach and enable one service at a time - if you have connectivity then make a note of that service and keep it on automatic. Then close the others that you don't require.

Providing you don't irrevocably damage your machine i.e. 'playing' around with regedit, then you've learnt something. I tend to find that you learn a lot more from failure rather than success - even though failure can be extremely frustrating.

Also, you may wish to read this tutorial to learn how to identify which processes have active TCP/IP connections, identify the processes, use google to identify the ports that these processes use, then use the links contained in this thread and this tutorial to close the RPC vulnerability. You should already have disabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP and file-sharing if you don't need to share files across a LAN.

Closing services that you don't require is also a good method of helping hardening your Windows box because merely slapping up a software firewall doesn't by itself close the services and can provide a false sense of security. If you feel like some informative reading (ignore the dick wagging), then read this thread for the skinny. Also, slapping up a firewall doesn't by itself provide any education. So doing a little bit of reading and being prepared to get your hands dirty not only helps you secure your system but also increases your knowledge. Which, after all, is the aim of this site!

Regards,
    Riotgirl

P.s. Good site, ShagDevil! Thanks for posting the link. Serves as a reminder and valuable lesson that you shouldn't place too much trust in one source unless it is the Bible that contains all that ye need to know now and forever.
    \"Don\'t worry. I don\'t have low self-esteem. It\'s a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else\".

Riotgirl - I have to admit, I didn't disable one service at a time and check to see if everything was running smoothley. I simply disabled and most of the services and kind of hoped for the best. Obviously it didn't pan out that way. In any event. Your reply was quite thorough and has provided me with more then enough information to accomplish what I intend to do; namely disable any and all services that I"m not using and will not use in the future. I appreciate the effort that you went through in your response. Regards.