Cisco and Microsoft announced a partnership that will allow them to share technology and integrate security features on Cisco's networking gear and Microsoft's server and desktop products.

Complete News Here: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5412415.html

I was about to buy a new switch for my network at work but this news got me thinking it might be useful for me to buy a router, Cisco probably for NAC/NAP technology.. Right now, my network is just a mess of cable plug everywhere (Like a spaghetti) so I want to start from scratch. I have (All Ethernet)

Undisclosed Company Firewall
3Com: 24 Ports Giga Switch (#1)
3Com: 6 Port Giga Switch (#2)
3Com: 24 Port 100Mg Switch (#3)
3Com: 24 Port 100Mg Switch (#4)
10 Servers and a bunch of PC.

I was planning to use my Giga 24 Port Switch (#1) as a central hub in a star topology. All the PC would connect to one of the other three 3Com Switch (#2, #3 or #4) and those switch would be connect to my 24 Ports Giga Switch (#1). My server would also be connecting to the 24 Ports Giga Switch (#1).

But right now, I'm confused so I have a few of questions on hardware networking!

1) Does Switch share the ARP or RIP databases with each others?

2) In my case, would changing my Giga 24 Port Switch (#1) by a Giga 24 Port Router would help the network speed?

3) What advantage would I have using a router as a central hub in a star topology over a switch?

4) Can you assign access rules between physical ports of a router? (Like in a Firewall between the WAN and LAN)

5) Can you assign access rules between physical ports of a switch?

Thank for your answer.