Thread: unknow pings

unknow pings

latley i have been getting pinged from a cuple of diffrent computers one from cal and one from the UCAR has bin pinging me 2 and all of the connections have goan through one comp/server/somthing in chicage here are the firewall even information
    for ucar
    "A computer at sweb.ucar.edu has attempted an unsolicited connection to TCP port 3373 on your computer.
    TCP port 3373 is commonly used by the "Lavenir License Manager" service or program. "

and for the unknow
    "A computer at IP Address 216.49.81.241 has attempted an unsolicited connection to TCP port 1878 on your computer."

any one have any ideays on what this could be or if i should look in to it. i have gotten a e-mail address of the Admin for UCAR should i send her an e-mail asking if she knows why i was being pinged by a comp on her network.

Most likely it is someone scanning the internet for something open to play with...

Are you responding to pings????

Make sure you don't have anything open that shouldn’t be, and you should be ok.

If these attacks continue from the same network then I would recommend emailing the system administrator. Explain the situation, and send her/him a copy of those log portions

------remember
    If you are not actively hacking your network someone else will......

ok thank you for your info i dont think i have any thing running that they could play with my 3 firewalls should stop any thing coming in.( just so you dont think i am crazy i use zonelabs and i am using a 90day free trial of mcafee's firewall to see if i like it and i have a firewall on my roughter)

3 firewall's isn't/doesn't exactly mean more security. On the contrary, it's not safe to have more than one active one because the others could interfere with it's overall performance/useage. IMO you should stick to one main one and set a good preference of rules.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Spyder32: I agree with you that they may interfere with each other. However, it is ok to have several firewalls. Just don't have them all on one machine or in one place. For instance...

I have a cisco router with acls at my border.

I have another cisco on a "test" network (segment), that I don't have to worry about playing with malware on because that is completely separate from my real network and it has strict rules.

I have another router for wireless that has a firewall on another segment.

I have norton internet security on my hosts.

Thats 3 routers/firewalls... and several more firewalls on the hosts.
    But, they are all in different places on my network.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I understand what you mean the only reason i have 3 is because i hoave on on my roughter and one on my box but i am also using a free trial of McAfee's firewall to see if i like it befor i buy it and replace my other one which is zoneAlarm. and the only reason i keep one on my box in side the network is because their are comps o my network i am not an admin so i dont know what they might have downloaded that they braught into the network so my second one is to protect my self from people inside my network not from outside.