Microsoft security bootcamp?

Thread: Microsoft security bootcamp?

Microsoft security bootcamp?

hey i did a search on this and these "bootcamps" got my attention http://www.netwind.com/html/microsof...-security.html

My question to you all is once you get a certification from these bootcamps how legit are they? Will business' take them just as serious as any other certification?
    thanks so much!
    -Simo

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Bootcamps tend to degrade certification quality. If you get a certification from the Bootcamp it's not the same as passing the exam. Quite often, their "certification" is just to indicate you took the course. And their courses are geared towards passing an exam rather than truly understanding the topic or subject matter.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

so youre saying that your employer wont take the bootcamp certification seriously?
    -Simo

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I can't speak for my employer (as they are rather large) but most companies I'm aware of do know the difference between a certification issued by a bootcamp versus a certification issued by Microsoft (MCSE). There is a difference. Additionally, a person's ability (or lack thereof) tends to show through. It's lovely if you can pass an exam but do you really have a clue? Therein lies the difference.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

oh i thought a certification was a certification, didnt know theyre special bootcamp ones
    -Simo

There are certainly differences. I just recently took an "upgrading system engineer skills Windows server 2000 to 2003" workshop. They gave me a paper that looks like a certificate. It has the microsoft stamps and etc. all over it. It can't be applied towards anything like MCP, but I did learn a lot. It was all hands on. The bootcamps are "memorize the text book, take an exam". Basically, what would take you several months to do on your own would only take you a week or shorter. How much can you really retain? If you do retain the info tought... would you be able to apply it?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

well im not liking college too much, thought these classes were a good idea
    -Simo