Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xp pro

xp pro

I have xp pro oem.I can copy it and put it on a another PC,Has long i buy new key.

Probably not unless it is the same brand. In my experience, the OEM disks will only install on the same brand of pc. That is without some tweaking. If the are the same brand, then it may not even ask you for a key. I've reloaded my box several times. I've never needed a key and I've never needed to activate it. I've even reloaded a win2k box that was the same brand with xp pro (on accident). It never asked for anything.

You can buy the upgrade though. It will include media. You'll only need the original CD from 98, NT4 or above. (I think).
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I am building another pc,I try it on my laptop but they would not let me.With a new mother broad whit a new mac address.Well when i git done with my pc i will see what happen.I have a xp home os.I would only need key for it.But the pro is a lot better.

Okay dude, your flag is American so try speaking English please... I apologize if you said somewhere else that you are not a native English speaker, I'm not trying to put you down if that's the case, but show some effort and punctuation.

Other than that, I know I wasn't able to load any XP from recovery CDs on anything but the original system. But recovery is different from OEM, it depends what kind of stuff is hardcoded in your packaging... there will always be things you can't match on a different computer, from MAC to BIOS checks and whatnot.
    /\\

even if you would be able to bypass that security, most vendors have a stripped down version of the OS, meaning they don't have all the drivers on the cd's, only the ones needed for that particular model. i have seen this many times when trying to install the recovery cd's from one model on another model (both same brand). So don't even bother trying to get it to work, cause it won't.

what you can do, is upgrade your XP home version to XP pro. this can be done in the normal way, or you can alter some things and add some tools to let the home version "think" you have home.
    i have read an article about this, but i can not remember where, so as soon as i have found it, i'll let you know

There are 2 type of ÖEM" Disks it seems, the OEM CD's I use are similar to the retail CD's .. no fancy packing.. if the cd breaks ..I am responsable to supply a new copy to the customer..
    These you can install on most x86 based pc.. so long as you have all the drivers..

The other type is the Branded - Imaged OEM CD's.. these can range from a Ghost image to a custom installer.. ergo.. Acer/Dell/Gateway ... or the HDD stored files that can be burn't to DVD or CD's..HP/Compaq
    This family of OEM CD's are Hardware specific.. and in some cases look for key information from the motherboard and hard drive..
    This is also the same family that Phish mentioned.. path stops here when it come to useing on other hardware..

The former, it would be just as expensive to just find a friendly retailer.. buy a HDD and an OEm version of XP Pro, as it would to pay misrocoft for a new Licence and Key
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I got the xp pro sp1 on ebay two year ago.

I think you're right Und3ertak3r, i have seen semi-retail versions before too, but that was a long time ago, i think it indeed depends on the vendor and the agreements between the vendor and M$.

Originally posted here by recon
    I got the xp pro sp1 on ebay two year ago.
    And I think the EULA mentions something about not being allowed to redistribute copies?

Slightly off-topic, there is a precedent of some guy suing his laptop manufacturer for the price of the Windows OS [to have his money reimbursed] because he said he doesn't agree to the MS EULA and so he doesn't want the OS... and although Manufacturers get huge discounts for the OS, he wanted the full store price back... which the judge gave him [too bad I found this out after I bought my laptop]
    /\\