Thread: Computer Software Engineer

Computer Software Engineer

Hello, Although I'm still young (15) I have this interest for Computer Software Engineering and am kinda curious and have some questions for anyone who is or is studying to become a Computer Software Engineer.

1.) I know it's difficult but how difficult?
    2.) To be a high paying Computer Software Engineer what must you have? What qualities?
    3.) How is the employment?
    4.) How long is the career in College?
    5.) What is a good College for Computer Software Engineering?
    6.) Are you required to know all/most computer programming languages?
    7.) Anything else you think I should know about it.

I want to gather all my facts together before I go into college (in 3 years) and decided to start researching now. Thank you for your time.

- Raion
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

How difficult is it, you say?

From my Computer Science book:

To appreciate the problems solved in software engineering, it is helpful to select any large complex device you want (... [for this example, we will use] a cathedral) and imagine being asked to design it and then to supervise its construction. How can you estimate the cost in time, money, and other resources to complete the project? How can you divide the project into manageable pieces? How can you cope with the wide range of detail (the selection of doorknobs, the design of the gargoyles, the availability of blue glass for the stained glass windows, the strength of the pillars, the design of the duct work for teh heating system)? Questions of the same scope must be answered during the development of a large software system.

I would suggest reading up on stuff at the IEEE Computer Society website at www.computer.org, and then learning about hardware architecture as well if you plan on any large efficient programs. Then, after getting a good knowledge of a high end programming language like C/++ or Assembly, try getting involved in a project at SourceForge. It'll make for good, free experience, and will also give you an upper hand when it comes to getting a job at companies like Infinity Ward(Makers of Call of Duty) or VALVe.
    Tell me if you think I\'m spamming or doing something stupid, please.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm browsing through those websites right now. One question though, are you studing to become a Software Engineer?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

2.) To be a high paying Computer Software Engineer what must you have? What qualities?
    1.as for your first question , "how hard". it depends, if you do your work regularly study
    assig ments, leave no pending work ,it depends on how much time you can put your butts on the computer chair.need to be good in maths and logical reasoning

2.attitude appitude , to be the top 5 students in every semister

3. depends on the college and percentage

4.what do you mean by the question .explain ?

5.IIT DELHI, BOMBAY (INDIA) ETC, MIT ( USA) ,NIT (INDIA) PRINCETON ( USA) thats all i remember

6.THEY TEACH YOU EVRY LANGUAGE INCLUDED THE COURSE

7.there is no end to the learning aspect in this feild

Re: Computer Software Engineer

I wouldn't say modern programming is an impossible feat for anyone. In theory anyone with fair ability can grasp programming.

Initially SE used to rely heavily on mathematics. With the introduction of newer generation languages such as; C++, C#, ASP, Java - the emphasis on mathematics and hypothetical frameworks have greatly deminished. Many people now learn to program from an Object Orientated and GUI perspective.

One concept people often evade from is practice. To be a good programmer (unless you're a wiz) you need to practice, practice, practice. It can be the most frustrating thing in thw world and people rarely grasp it first time.

You have to be competent at what you do - but that doesn't necessarily mean you need to know everything. As with most jobs you'll probably start off at a junior level (in industry) and work your way up.

Most coders know one language well - that's a good place to start

Varies - but generally good.

Check job vacancies online or in newspapers in the areas you are interested in. That should give you a good indication of the jobs, money and skills needed.

The games industry is a flouroushing place for programmers at the moment - lots of artists, few programmers. Mobile technologies and server side development also seem to be "the big ones" at this time.

In the UK a standard BSc takes 3 years, BSc(Hons) 4 years and additional MSc Masters an extra year.

I'm not sure what the length is in other courties - I'd imagine it's similar.

Remember - Universities will only provide you with the skills you need and an environment with which to learn them. A degree is nice, and usually a great advantage, but you don't always HAVE to have one if you find you just can't afford it. You can always learn to programme off your own back if needs be.

I wouldn't like to be biased and say

Just be aware that though most Universities offer computing degrees - not all are the same. For example pure computing focuses heavily on assembly, mathematics and theoretical programming. Whereby applied computing would tend to fucus more on creating applications and skills focussed towards industry.

Again - check out job adverts for what employers look for.

Generally it is advisable to learn ONE language and learn it well. Once you've mastered it - then you can start dabbling. A lot of people make the mistake of playing about with lots of languages and never really focussing - this seems ill-advise to me - but hey, what would I know.

Pick a language and stick to it. Pascal was always the one for me to begin with - perhaps Java would be more applicable these days.

I find the best programmers are usually those who are passionate about there code and enjoy it. There's nothing worse than doing a job you despise.

Practice, practice, practice

Best of luck.

These are just my opinions. Am sure others will have a barrage of alternatives
    # Now if I ever needed inspiration,
    Right about now where I lose my patience,

Just be aware that though most Universities offer computing degrees - not all are the same. For example pure computing focuses heavily on assembly, mathematics and theoretical programming. Whereby applied computing would tend to fucus more on creating applications and skills focussed towards industry

see in here if you go for a B.Sc (computers) it goes for there years ,but if you go for a B.Tech then you go for 4 years and you get a engg degree, which happen to be a bit supiriror than a normal bsc degree. but of course ,it depends upona person's skill and talent top sustain onself in the industry.who know a B.Sc student may earn more than a B.Tech

you might also want to do a Msc with a BSc as this increases you chance of employment . but with a B.Tech i don't think a M.tech will be necessary."just my thought"

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi,

I am not sure what do you mean by Computer Software Engineer………….but I am doing a Masters Degree in Computer Application…………there are various Fields in Computers………..you can opt for BSc (Computer Science) or BSc (IT) or Bachelor Degree in Software Engineering and many others.

Haa, are you kidding me difficult ……………well I think depends on person to person I didn’t found it difficult at all……...jut a bit of more hard work and you will be good to go.

You will have to start low …………...gradually make your way up one step at a time like any other profession………..the thing is to get experience …………experience is the key here.

Qualities I would say Urge to learn new thing constantly is curtail because this is a dynamic field ………if you are not on the lookout for new things you might get obsolete before you know it

Good ……….Very Good But only after you have some live basic industry experience……..Freshers generally have to work very hard ...........so start early

3 years for any bachelor level degree plus 2 for the Masters …….3+2=5 ………you can also start your carrier after the bachelor degree

Which Country are we talking about?

He he he in my dreams ………….generally a Degree in computer science doesn’t rely heavily on Computer Languages……………….. They will teach you some they generally mix them with other subjects like my curriculum included FORTRAN for Numerical Techniques, Java and C++ For Object Orient Concepts, LISP for Intelligent System., C and Data Structure. And a few others not many I am telling you ...........there will not be much emphasis on programming languages.

They will go for the basics building blocks of Computers……a bit of everything ranging form good old mathematics you will find mathematics at every step OOP to DBMS to Networking to Computer Organization they try to touch everything they try to make you a jack of all but you have to choose what’s best for you at the end…………. like I choose programming a few of my class mates choose networking and few went for Software Engineering( it’s a personal decision though we all have learned the same things)the thing is even if I choose programming I have to quickly make a decision which language and then go steady with that one ……….it’s no use being jack of all and master of none you got to have a good command in one language

Hard work and be prepared to study all your life ………….books will be you best friend all your life

--Good Luck--

First, I would like to thank everyone for their replies and opinions.
    Moissonite:
    In the UK a standard BSc takes 3 years
    Can you please explain what a BSc is?

Swordfish_13:

Which Country are we talking about?
    U.S.A...Prefferably New York City (since I lived there for 13 years and wouldn't need to pay extra charges for not living there).

I saw a comment somewhere in one of those posts (Don't want to look for it right now) which said I don't actually need to go to college I can just hit the books..see that doesn't work for me..I learn easier (as a lot of people do I believe) when someone teaches you because I'm not much of a reader..or at least not when I see 500+ pages. I'm learning C++ right now, although probably not the most reccomended first language, I'm doing pretty well in my opinion and I have months without looking at that book and I still can understand everything I've read in the book but at this rate I'd finish the book in the year 2010.