Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backing up files

Backing up files

Whats the best way to externaly back up files? Becuase once I get to have this computer I wanna format/clear the hard drive to get rid of the other users and any spyware/adware/viruses that are on it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...tocry/sig2.jpg
    Code:
    SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
    0 rows returned;

First, welcome to the forum, i hope you enjoy your stay here.

Second, this is a security forum, not a skiddie forum.
    None of the members here encourage anyone to do things that are illegal with his knowledge, better yet, we all reject it.

perhaps if you would have a legit reason for doing this, you might get some response, but the only response you will get with this question is flaming / nagging!

i suggest you go and google for your problem, cause no one here is going to help you with your pathetic "hack"-attack!!!

regards

WhiteHat_h4xx0r, cdr-w, ftp, external hardrive, gmail ? What OS are you using?

perhaps if you would have a legit reason for doing this, you might get some response, but the only response you will get with this question is flaming / nagging!

i suggest you go and google for your problem, cause no one here is going to help you with your pathetic "hack"-attack!!!
    What in the hell does that mean and were did you get that from? I must have read a totally different thread.

er....wtf are you talking about White Scorpion. where did i say anything illegal in my post? If you could that out for me please... and i have been here a lot longer than you have under the name 01001101 so take me like a n00b.

Im using Windows XP Home Edition. its a shared computer so Its hard for me to do anything to it becuase if I accidentally mess it up i'll be in big trouble. How much would a external hard drive cost?
    Code:
    0 rows returned;

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    An external drive is a normal HDD with an external case. so your looking at $$ for HDD and depending on brand etc extra for the case. sorry i cant help as we are in differnet countries and im sure the prices vary accordingly.

if your going to buy a HDD to backup all the data, why dont you just swap the drives in the machine, and setup your own OS on the new drive. that way when you have to return it to normal state, just re-replace the drives :P

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    there are several ways to back up things....all depends on what you want to backup??

If is just data...depending on the size...you can either ..

get another harddrive...and copy the data over.

Slave the drive into another machine and copy the data over

or us a cd\dvd burner....and copy the data over.

Or you ccan use a tape backup and software program..lots of $$$$$

If you want to get rid of all remnants of malware on the machine...just take the data.

Also you cannot backup software installed by just copying the folder....it needs to be reinstalled and registered into the registry

You will have to reformat, install your os..then install the apps again.

Then restore the data..point the apps to the restored data ..and you rocking.

I have had some success though with copying the C:\program files\app folders and after reinstalling the app...drop the copied app folder on top of your new install...sometimes this
    can restore certain configuration\custom settings for that peticular app....

If you dont trust the system you are backing up...just grab the data cause you could bring all the crap you are trying to fix over by grabbing other stuff...like the registry\ system etc

IMHO

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

er....wtf are you talking about White Scorpion. where did i say anything illegal in my post? If you could that out for me please... and i have been here a lot longer than you have under the name 01001101 so take me like a n00b.

Im using Windows XP Home Edition. its a shared computer so Its hard for me to do anything to it becuase if I accidentally mess it up i'll be in big trouble. How much would a external hard drive cost?
    then you must know how to ask things, and THIS is NOT a good question:
    Whats the best way to externaly back up files?
    and you already editted it, so that says that you agree with my statement!

but as you say after your edit:
    to get rid of the other users and any spyware/adware/viruses that are on it
    this IS a normal question, but the one you asked before (bummer i didn't quote you the first time), wasn't!

here a lot longer than you have under the name 01001101
    with 18 posts you mean? don't make me laugh, this is my other account

I know i didnt have many posts but thats becuase i was a newbie at this sorta stuff, but i have surfed the forums for a long time untill i stopped in 2003 to start on my website.
    and i never edited anything except the word hard drive which i had mispelled as hardrive, which i do sometimes. I never asked any question that was illegal. I dont know what your talking about with the
    to get rid of the other users and any spyware/adware/viruses that are on it
    this IS a normal question, but the one you asked before (bummer i didn't quote you the first time), wasn't!
    I thought you may have been taking the "get rid of other users and any spyware/adware/viruses" wrongly like i was trying to hack someones PC but like i said this is a shared computer and once i get to have it theres no reason why there should be other users. and the only reason you didnt quote it is becuase it was never there.
    I always had the
    Whats the best way to externaly back up files?
    part of my question, thats what i started this topic on. you just wanna act all tough to try and prove your error that you made wasnt an error
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm thinking of backing up stuff like
    - Images (.jpg .gif .png etc)
    - Music (.mp3 .wav .wmp etc)
    - Videos (.mov .mpeg .avi etc)
    - Game files (.map .dds .ksml etc)
    - MSN Messenger files (apps, contact lists etc)
    and probly some other stuff i cant think of right now
    Code:
    0 rows returned;

WhiteHat_h4xx0r: I think the dude is simply misjudging based on your nickname choice as I might have done as well. If you have been around AO as long as you claim or you had another account or whatever, then you'd know names like that aren't exactly taken very friendly-like.

Just trying to help.
    Space For Rent.. =]