Thread: How to expand your rights in windows from admin to system

How to expand your rights in windows from admin to system

hi all,

perhaps this trick could come in handy sometimes:

go to the command prompt and type: "at XX:XX /interactive taskmgr" (where XX:XX is the current time + 1 minute). now wait until the taskmgr pops up.

everything started from this taskmgr will have system rights, so if you locate the explorer.exe process and kill it, and then restart it with this taskmgr you will have a complete gui with system rights.

this means access to certain folders and registry keys to which you normally don't have access to.
    (also comes in handy when ACL's are used).

have fun with it

Hi,

Just to clarify:

1. Which Windows OSes?
    2. By "current time" I presume you mean the system clock time, not the real world time?

oh, sorry bout that:

1 --> at least windows 2000 and higher, but i guess it will work on NT as well.
    2 --> current windows time

No problems old chap

Pas de probleme mon vieux

Sorry, I don't do Dutch, but I am sure that some of my good colleagues on site will help me

I will give it a try on NT4.0 SP6.0a over the week-end..............from your initial post I had assumed XP..............it was the older NT based OSes I was curious about (Win2000= NT5.0 )

Cheers, prost, skol, a votre sainte, slainte va, or whatever...........just don't drink as much as me

I will give it a try on NT4.0 SP6.0a over the week-end..............from your initial post I had assumed XP..............it was the older NT based OSes I was curious about (Win2000= NT5.0 )

Cheers, prost, skol, a votre sainte, slainte va, or whatever...........just don't drink as much as me
    well, it's simple to see, if the service "Task scheduler"is running, it is running as "system", so every child process started from there will also run with the system privileges.

dutch --> geen probleem oude vriend.

regards,