Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still the One songwriter wants Bush to desist

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Still the One songwriter wants Bush to desist

*tsk tsk tsk*...

Source: The Toronto Star

WASHINGTON - The musician who co-wrote the 1970s hit Still the One is demanding that President George W. Bush stop using the tune at campaign events, arguing that he's no fan of the Republican incumbent and the campaign never got permission to use the song.

John Hall, a former Democratic county legislator in upstate New York, co-wrote Still the One and recorded it with his band Orleans in 1976. The cheery pop tune was played at Bush events yesterday and again today to open and close a rally for the president in New Hampshire.

"I was watching TV, and there all of a sudden was my song, my guitar playing, my voice coming out of the speakers," said Hall, 56, still a working musician.

Hall's lawyers are drafting a formal letter of complaint to the Bush campaign. A spokesman for the Republicans did not immediately return calls for comment.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

lol, last I checked you didn't have to get permission to play songs at political rally's. However since it was broadcast by the news media I wonder where the legal issue falls. With the rally producers or the networks who broadcast it? If I was a musician and hated bush and heard my song on TV I would be pissed too. I suppose.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Well as much as I agree with everything said here, you gotta ask this: Is it a matter of the guy hating bush and not wanting him to use his music or is it truly a case of him just hearing someone use his music? Bleh, doesnt matter..
    Space For Rent.. =]

how can anyone blame bush for this. do you really think he pick out the decorations and the music for this affair? i can hear all the liberals (radicals) now: "that bush what a bastard. using music without permission." what a cheap f!@#ing shot!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    I thought it was against the law... at least in australia.

you cant publicly air a movie, or a song, or anything unless you have the rights to it.... you can hire out a movie and watch it at home, but if you broadcast that to the public, you violate copyright acts.

wouldnt this be the same?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Banned
    I didn't see anyone blame Bush for this, tedob. They are demanding that Bush's campaign stop using the song. Fair enough? It's like the Kerry campaing saying "And you know what??? Tedob1 is supporting our campaign!!!". I bet you wouldn't mind, being the fair republican you are

Originally posted here by Negative
    I didn't see anyone blame Bush for this, tedob. They are demanding that Bush's campaign stop using the song. Fair enough? It's like the Kerry campaing saying "And you know what??? Tedob1 is supporting our campaign!!!". I bet you wouldn't mind, being the fair republican you are
    and i quote "The musician who co-wrote the 1970s hit Still the One is demanding that President George W. Bush stop using the tune at campaign events"

what were you reading?

your reading actual facts into this, but this is aimed at those that dont have any actual facts, those that just read the headlines or the first line or two... (a cheap f!@#ing shot)... the man in the street doesnt know. which is why the democrats are trying to recruit him.

Please dont blame republicans for me, i am far to the right of republicans...i concider myself to be a reactionary without being a racist, so i really dont have a party affiliation. i would feel so much better if i did.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    I read "Hall's lawyers are drafting a formal letter of complaint to the Bush campaign". I don't think Hall personally demanded Bush to stop using the song...

It's kind of an idle point anyway. So they draft a letter today and mail it out tomorrow? And Bush says "OK I'll stop using it" 2 weeks AFTER the election. Seems like a waste of effort by those lawyers. They should be gearing up for all the election lawsuits that are eroding democracy.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by CybertecOne
    I thought it was against the law... at least in australia.

you cant publicly air a movie, or a song, or anything unless you have the rights to it.... you can hire out a movie and watch it at home, but if you broadcast that to the public, you violate copyright acts.

wouldnt this be the same?
    In the U.S. an individual cannot broadcast (aka radio station) or illegal copy and play copyrighted music for financial gain. However, if an individual purchases the music, or a company purchases the rights to broadcast, then the music can be played as the individual desires. So, if the Bush campaign purchased the music being played, then everything is legal. To say that this is an illegal action would be akin to arresting people for copyright infringement when you can hear music outside of the confines of their automobile, or having your neighbor arrested for the same when he throws a party and plays Ozzie Ozborne loud enough to rattle the windows. In those cases the law being broken would be a noise pollution ordinance. (probably)

OK there are my 2 cents.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!