Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how safe static address?

how safe static address?

hi tehere and ty for your responses as usual
    i have adsl connection through adsl modem with integrated router and nat firewall .have static address.
    how safe is that from me being attacked??
    since i have opted for static address i have not had any alert from my zone alarm(maybe because my ip is not any more on nett?
    may please somone excplain too me little bit how it works and how safe i really am
    thnks

sry xp pro with sp2
    adsl 512/128

AFLAAACKKK!!
    So let me get this straight... You have a router, and your computer behind the firewall/router has a static IP that is no longer on the internet because it's behind the router, right? Now the routers IP address is on the net.

Ok, well if your computer is behind the router it shouldn't matter, but it would still be a good idea for your router to have dynamic IP.

I hope read and answered your question right
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

my ip is not any more on nett?
    If you can view website, trust me, your IP is online. Sure dynamic IP's change every tiem you sign on, and that's better IMO, but static IP's are well the same, it just depends how much you secure your computer, if the box is updated and safe anough, you shouldnt have any problems wheter it's a dynamic or static IP. IT's also not bad to change your IP from time to time

[i wrote a tip in the Tips and Tricks forum how to change static IP's, you can visit it]

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=263368
    O.G at A.O

Depends on how you look at it:

From an internet stand point where you get a new IP every time you sign on, then perhaps that is better than a static. However there are trade offs and I ask "is it really more secure" any vulnerabilites you have will be present wether you have dynamic or static addresses. What little security you gain is making yourself a moving target versus a stationary one. The value in security is slim and the benefits of a static ip in terms of hosting and secure remote access could be essential.

From a net admin standpoint static addresses allow you to disable DHCP which helps prevent unauthorized access to open network (CAT5) ports. With that comes a much higher overhead in IP maintenance so it's only really effective in small networks.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    So basically, to answer your question about security, the only gained security you will get is extra protection from DOS attacks and if a cracker get's your IP and then it changes, the IP the hacker has is worthless
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Hi

as for static/dynamic IP:

In my opinion, as already stated partly by RoadClosed, there is no difference at all,
    from a security point of view, whether you have a static or dynamic IP to the external
    world (internet). The address range of IP numbers provided by the ISP is usually quite narrow,
    so once an "attacker" knows your IP, it does not take much to update your IP in his database.

as for your NAT Router and incoming traffic:

One of the reaons, why your ZA does not pop up (almost) any incoming traffic flags
    anymore is the following: Your router needs to know where to forward incoming
    packages to. These settings, for example, are done in the SUA setup of your router.
    Per default, no incoming traffic is forwarded, hence, usually, no "attacker" will be able
    to get to your box that is behind the Router. Note, there is no need to forward
    incoming traffic, except you have some running servers, like webserver, mailserver, ...

Cheers

/edit: As for DoS attacks. There is no additional protection with dynamical IP. You
    might have additional protection from a badly-written (reversed) DDoS-attack, but
    since your ISP updates the dynamic IP once per 48hours or so only, even that is
    not given.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

AFLAAACKKK!!
    As for DoS attacks. There is no additional protection with dynamical IP.
    Sure there is, if someone is DoSing you, the IP will change soon, since it changes the DoS stops and now the attacker needs to find the IP again. And it might not be hard to find the new IP since he already knows the range in wich your ISP is in, but honestly, who is going to try 300 or more possibilites?? No one with a life...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Sure there is, if someone is DoSing you, the IP will change soon, since it changes the DoS stops and now the attacker needs to find the IP again. And it might not be hard to find the new IP since he already knows the range in wich your ISP is in, but honestly, who is going to try 300 or more possibilites?? No one with a life...
    That is if the person hasn't dropped something on the computer already . I'm gonna go with CopyRight on this one...no matter if its static of dynamic, the computer will be as safe as you secure it. If you have your firewalls and AVs in place, and use common sense, you will be pretty safe (Although never totally safe). For a person to DOS you, you must have something important to them...haven't seen too many people DOS home users for no apparent reason. Usually its a grudge, revenge, or trying to use it as a distraction for something else. You also need to consider how long does your computer usually stay connected to the internet, do you ever let it run all night or do you shut it down every time you do not use it? Common sense is your best defense though.

Take care.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Well I totally agree to, but I'd rather have a dynamic IP the static IMHO
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools