Locked out of my laptop :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locked out of my laptop :(

Locked out of my laptop :(

hey all,
    I was trying to join my home network workgroup from my work laptop. I added my workgroup and it said to restart the computer. I restarted and I could not log back in. It won't accept any user/pass combo and it doesn't even give me a drop down of domains to select so I can't even select the local computer domain.

Its a win xp install

anyone have any clue what I can do to fix this?

thanks
    ~jim~

I think what this probably means is that you took your portable of your works network (called domain probably) and joinded your homes private network (called workgroup).

Now what this also might mean (anybody correct me if I'm wrong) is that by taking your computer from your works domain you loose this account's cached passwords and also you can't join the domain again because you cannot contact the domain controller (obviously).

But if you can't login through the workgroup account anymore then this means you either forgot your password or you typed it wrong (azerty / qwerty / numlock / etc.).

So I gather that you also can't login as administrator locally as well??

Offcourse what I'm not gonna explain is how to get into your machine without knowing the password (cracking or hacking your way in) that's something you gotta figure out yourself and my bet is your not gonna get that info here anyway because the whole point is to keep that from happening on this forum I should think.

Anyway normally you should be able to log in as local administrator and fix your problem through this account , if you don't even have that account's password I'm affraid your on your own.

Anyway ..hope this helps clarify things?

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Or can't log back into Windoze?

May be better if we knew exactly what your trying to say..

Note: Most home networks DON'T operate under a Domain..
    if your still able to log in to Windows.. just re-run the Network setup wizard.. then when you return to work on monday explain to your admin what you did.. he will want to scann your pc before allowing it back on his network..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

May be better if we knew exactly what your trying to say..
    This was what I was thinking about ...

Good point about the scanning of the portable by tha sysadmin though.

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

you can use ERD Commander 2003. This application can reset your administrator password. Its easy to use....Load the CD then it will prompt you in a DOS prompt mode...then type in regload.......this will load your current registry......then type to reset your local administrator password type in: password ADMINISTRATOR (THEN YOUR NEW PASSWORD). Hope this will give you some help.....

thanks all,
    I'll have to checkout ERD Commander thanks for the tip

I'm actually not sure what happened...
    I have my laptop set up for my work's domain, but I wanted to access shares on my home computer so I wanted to add my home network workgroup to my laptop for that reason (perhaps I didn't even need to).

I did it before with my other work laptop and it worked fine. I was part of my work domain and my home workgroup and all was lovely. Tried the same thing this time and I'm locked out.
    Its not a huge deal because I'm sure the sysadmin can logon with the local admin password(I dont know it) on monday.
    ~jim~

Maybe the local account was already locked out before you came home from work.
    You removed yourself from the domain to add yourself to your home workgroup so that explains why there is no domain drop down box

ok the admin just emailed me the local password and I'm in
    lol now anyone know how to add myself back to my work domain from the local account?
    ~jim~

Right click on "My Computer" and go to the tab "Computer name"

Then there is a line that says "To rename this computer or join a domain, click change"

Obviously click the change button

You will need a user name and password of an account that is able to introduce clients onto the domain.

If you are in NT just right click on Network Neighbourhood and do it in there.