Shareaza question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shareaza question

Shareaza question

Hi.

I'm using Shareaza for filesharing. In the last couple of days I noticed that it shows alot of incoming traffic, but doesn't seem to be downloading any files.

Does anyone know why could that be?

I stoped the program for now.

A few more details. I set up my firewall to allow Shareaza to recieve incoming connections, same as my router. After that I get 6 to 8Kb incoming trafic, but no actual downloading.

Are there any backdors in the program others could use?
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

for the most part, any program you use for mass file sharing (i.e kazaa, imesh, etc.) will have some "extras". even if it is advertised as spyware free. Aside from that it is generally a bad idea to ask for help with a program designed for illegaly sharing files on a security webpage.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Look, no offence ment. But I've been on this forums long enough to know the basic ethics. This illegal filasharing, helped me to find the books I couldn't find in any library, so I'll stick to it. As well, many questions asked here, could be potentialy used for harm. Should we stop this forum then?

I don't ask for unnecessary info, when I can solve the problem. This one I can't. I anyone wants to help, please do. If not, then don't. If I can help anyone, I'll do it with pleasure.

nightcat,

The most frequent problems you will encounter with Shareaza is usually caused by one of the following:

- For some reason an error occurred and the file remained in the incomplete folder. (Was suppose to be patched on the latest release)

- The file was not hashed before it was added to the library. <----- (most common)

- The file is in the process of being moved from the incomplete dir to the completed dir.

- The download directory is not in the library.<----- (common as well)

- Change in firewall or configuration. <----- (common as well)

For more specifics if this doesn't cure your problem, there is a forum dedicated to shareaza at
    http://forums.shareaza.com/

Are there any backdors in the program others could use?
    Since you are sharing files, obviously there is always the possibility that some of the files could contain Trojans, Viruses, etc. Make sure you always scan your downloaded files with a reputable virus scanner and use common sense concerning the files you download. I should caution you that Shareaza is a peer-to-peer client, however when it is downloaded from a reputable site, it most likely will not contain any Trojans, viruses, spyware, etc.

A pretty extensive website can be found Here: and of course www.google.com is you friend.

Hope that helps

cheers.
    Connection refused, try again later.

Originally posted here by XTC46
    Aside from that it is generally a bad idea to ask for help with a program designed for illegaly sharing files on a security webpage.
    ??? Since when is file sharing and/or P2P illegal ?

Downloading copy righted material and or wareze is illegal, but if I am sharing my own files with a buddy (or several) then what is illegal about that.

He simplely asked a question about a common application, that possiby could be used for illegal purposes, not about any specific proccess that was illegal.

Come on guys, we are not net cops. We shouldn't be judging the actions of others. I will make a bet, that over 90% of the members on 'AO' have some form of file sharing software, and it is nobodies buisness (except them selves, and RIAA (sic)) what they use it for.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    nightcat, I don't exactly know what your preferences are. Do you want to share files? If you feel insecure about the incoming traffic, disable it and/or block it. You don't have to share your files in order to download off Shareaza. You could block all incoming traffic for Shareaza if you wanted and set up one of your rulesets to allow an outbound connection to the ports you need for downloading. I believe though, you'll also need an HTTP outbound connection as well.
    I believe Shareaza uses ports 6346 - 6349 depending on the version you're running, there could be more (I've heard some newer versions of Shareaza can connect to Edonkey, BitTorrent, and Gnutella 1 & 2 networks). I checked around a little bit and found that Edonkey uses ports 4661 - 4663 and Bit Torrent uses ports 6881 - 6889. I would suggest checking out if your firewall has a forum and check there to see if there are any threads on setting up P2P rulesets. PCFlank has a section on firewall rulesets as well. Bearshare is under P2P, you might be able to use it as a guide to setting up your firewall ruleset for Shareaza (I believe Bearshare uses the same network as Shareaza (Gnutella)). Like I said though, I don't believe you need any incoming rules for Shareaza to work properly.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

If worst comes to worst, you can always switch to Limewire, which has a really massive userbase.

I havn't come across any problems to date.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Regal Making Handler
    I don't use Shareaza, but i assume it works the same way winmx and the like do. So you have a shared folder or directory and when you have the application running others can browse that share. Hence incoming connections, even if no uploading is going on.

If you are getting incoming connections when the application is closed, i would start to worry perhaps.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

OK. I checked my setings and it was allowing others to view my files. And as I've got around 100 gig, well, that's where the trafic from. I will look in to the other things as well.

Originally posted here by nightcat
    OK. I checked my setings and it was allowing others to view my files. And as I've got around 100 gig, well, that's where the trafic from. I will look in to the other things as well.
    a) Are you sharing 100 GB? is that you mean at your post? If its true, i dont advise you to continue to do that. Larger "sharers" are use to be target by "legal forces", even if you are sharing "legal" stuff.

b) At "edonkey" network, its is common to receive "incoming calls" after you should down your client. Other ppl at network will try to connect will several times (for hours you shutdown) trying to reconnect to your client. Dont worry.

c) Try to change default ports to ports above 40000. I dont use shareaza, but sometimes you can get better response time (from overnet at least) because some ISP use to f.... the default p2p ports....

BTW i have a PC only to do that. Its is protected by a *nix firewall (Iptables) AND NIS 2004 AND by two spyware hunters. Even edonkey can spread malware at your pc, depending on the client. For example, mine (edonkey client - open source) has a small windows, upper right, that is use by it to show ads. Aparently, that ad interface is built in on IE and from time to time, by A/V and Anti spyware shows some attempts to install malware at that pc.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.