Thread: Dsl Modem

Banned

Dsl Modem

hi there

my recently got DSL installed on his pc
    now here's the question he has taken the speed of 64 kbps and i have taken the plan of speed 256 kbps now when i tried to access my account thru his pc it worked!!! does that mean that his DSL modem is able to provide the speed of 256 kbps even though he ha taken the 64 kbps plan!!!

P.S.: we both have different modems of different manufacturers

The hardware should support higher speeds................this one will run 576 download and 288 upload................It just depends on your account/plan

64 is not that fast for DSL, so it is hardly surprising?...........I actually think that my modem would go to 1GBps, if I went for that plan?

What I am saying is that it is more the "plan" rather than the physical device.

Cheers

Banned
    hey what i am asking is will his modem of 64 kbps plan will also work for a 128 kbps plan??

*frowns*

Yes

It's a DSL Modem - its capacity will doubtlessly be at least 500kbps - the connection your ISP gives you will work on it quite happily...

akshayakrsh - Imagine you are the ISP. Imagine AntiOnline is the modem. Now... antionline can, in theory, support an infinite number of worthless posts. This, therefore, does not restrict the number of worthless posts you can churn out day after day..... as you do...

Sorry for the sarcasm... no... I really am...
    # Now if I ever needed inspiration,
    Right about now where I lose my patience,

Banned
    so what u want to say is that a 64 kbps modem will surely work for a 128 kbps modem regardless of it being a hardware. got the point thanks guys!!!

If it is a DSL modem it certainly will. It is the ISP that restricts the speed.

It would not be economical to manufacture various types of DSL modem to restrict speed that way.

It is similar to the way that the "plan" restricts your bandwidth..............this one has 1Gb per day, others might be 10, 20 or whatever Gb per month.............

You are probably too young to remember the old 486 processors? They had a DX and an SX version. The SX was cheaper, and was ACTUALLY a DX with the math co-processor physically disabled.

It was cheaper just to make DXs and "vandalise them" to make the cheaper SX.

I would not be surprised if you did not believe me...........please ask people around their 40's or 50's

Cheers

I'm not quite the expert on this matter, but doesnt the ethernet card decide what the maximum speed the data can be transferred through it? Because ethernet cards usually (at least when i bought mine it did) says xxxx kbps..?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Raion,

AFAIK you are technically correct, but ethernet cards are potentially so much faster than DSL modems that it doesn't matter.

Anyways, I got the impression that this link was dial up DSL via a modem, not an ethernet card via a network?

Maybe I missed something?

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Let me explain like a 4 yr old. [edit] <-- sorry, didnt mean offence to that, was something i read/heard somewhere... [/edit

DSL modems are capable of XXX speed, regardless of ISP or manufacturer. On the same ISP Plan, any modem will work at the plan speed, that is NOT to say that is the max/min speed of the modem. if you used a different plan, with a different speed, and with any modem, it will be at the plans speed.

Sorry for the sarcasm... no... I really am..
    LOL

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Banned
    i got the point vey well thank u!!!