Serious problem!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious problem!!

Banned

Serious problem!!

hey u all people
    help me!!!

i have windows xp sp2 in my box and every time automatic update runs it is not able to install the updates!!! and i m now worried whether this is a big problem or not??? plz help!!
    this thing started only after i downloaded and installed sp2

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Ok... asking nicely gets you a long way... demanding kinda makes people wanna punch you in the mouth!

what exactly does it say that makes you believe that it isnt installing the updates?
    are the updates downloading?

maybe the service pack was corrupt.... you'll have to answer a few questions to help us understand it better before we could give a decent answer.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Banned
    no the updated are downloading fine but when i try to install them it shows the message:

<name of the update>...failed to install

but when i try to install to re-install them again and again many times then 4 out 10 updates gets installed but 6 still are not able to be installed on the computer!!!

first: is your version of xp pirated -- i ask this because windows blocks certain serial numbers from updating

second: what are the updates that are failing -- i ask this because it may be missing a pre-requisite (i could not get the .net framework 1.1 patch to install until i installed another patch first)
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

ALso .. various Parasites (Spyware/Adware) and some worms will block the installation of MS updates. example of this is the Gaobot family (see Symantec)

first: is your version of xp pirated -- i ask this because windows blocks certain serial numbers from updating
    usually this is a SP installation situation, and it will tell you that you have an invalid Product key.. that is the message.. but certainly I have heard of some very non-friendly warez copies of Xpee.. esp one "cracked"sp2 update file..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I am not sure if this will help:

Do a search for "Belarc Advisor" download and run it. It will put up a report in your browser. Look down the bottom left for any Windows updates marked with a red "X". These are ones that haven't worked properly, but have left stuff on your system.

Make a note of any that have failed then go into "Add/Remove Programs" and see if you can uninstal them. Then try to download again.

Belarc also tells you which ones worked

Banned
    sorry to reply late

is your version of xp pirated -- i ask this because windows blocks certain serial numbers from updating
    no my XP isnt pirated and it was the microsoft's site from where i got SP2 in my machine and it worked fine. but the updates i download now dont get installed easily i have to try it again and again in order to install them.

i could not get the .net framework 1.1 patch to install until i installed another patch first
    yes, .net framework 1.1 created some trouble but when i tried to install it 5th or 6th time it installed on my pc so i dont know whether this may be the reason!!!

ALso .. various Parasites (Spyware/Adware) and some worms will block the installation of MS updates. example of this is the Gaobot family (see Symantec)
    i already have scanned my pc for Gaobot family using Panda AV and it detected none!!!
    still if u think there can be some adware/spyware problem do tell me!!!

Do a search for "Belarc Advisor" download and run it. It will put up a report in your browser. Look down the bottom left for any Windows updates marked with a red "X". These are ones that haven't worked properly, but have left stuff on your system.

Make a note of any that have failed then go into "Add/Remove Programs" and see if you can uninstal them. Then try to download again.

Belarc also tells you which ones worked

hey i thinnk Balarac has nothing to do with this because all the updates are getting installed on my friend's pc!!!!

AOs Resident Troll
    Make sure you have closed all programs before updating, ...including your real time AV scanning...and any other utilities you may have running.

Also...MS offers free support on security patch errors etc..via email...which I have used before .

I had to clear out a temp folder that the update creates...but that was a long time ago..and I cannot remember the specifics...

Anyway..

Heres a link to MS
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

If your XP is legit..they will fix it

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hi,

hey i thinnk Balarac has nothing to do with this because all the updates are getting installed on my friend's pc!!!!
    You missed the point..................I meant to get the software and use it to check if your updates have worked.

Belarc is a good tool, NOT malware

Banned
    Make sure you have closed all programs before updating, ...including your real time AV scanning...and any other utilities you may have running.
    It tried it but it didnt improved the problem

Also...MS offers free support on security patch errors etc..via email...which I have used before .
    If this is possible plz give me the email address or the link which i can use

Heres a link to MS
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    If your XP is legit..they will fix it
    This didnt worked at all, it looked like the same thing i have used many times earlier!!!

You missed the point..................I meant to get the software and use it to check if your updates have worked.

Belarc is a good tool, NOT malware
    I got it and it says all the updates are working!!!!
    what to do now? :-(

NEO