Thread: Virtual PC, VMWare and FC2

Virtual PC, VMWare and FC2

I'm trying to setup a Virtual PC or VMWare for Fedora Core 2.

I have m$ Virtual PC 2004 and VMWare 4.5.2.

With VMWare, FC2 will install and run, but will not run X Windows.

I can't get m$VPC2K4 to even run the FC2 install.

I am able to get either to run knoppix or knoppix-std to run just fine.

Has anyone had any problems installing and running FC2 on either of these apps?

I just want to setup a virtual network and run some OSS honeypots. (honeyd, arpd, etc)

My machine specs:

P4 1.9ghz, 1 gig rdram, xp pro, 128MB nvida gforcefx 5200, 1x80GB HD 1x60GB HD, etc

On m$VPC2K4, I'm setting it as OS= "Other" and allowing 384MB memory. They don't have any other "linux" settings. The older version (before it was aquired by m$) of Connectix Virtual PC for Windows 5.2 would run FC2 with no problems.

On VMWare 4.5.2, I've tried "Red Hat Linux" and "Other 2.6.x Kernel" I'm still allowing 384MB memory.

Before I always had setup an extra box and played around there. I just thought it'd be easier to setup my initial install, and copy the image. Rather than reinstalling everytime.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    [question]

would the image still be valid for patitioning considering its a virtual environment.... im unsure, i just would have thought it either would not have an image or it would be different because of the virtual setup. [/q]
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

I don't have any problems running Fedora 1 or 2 with MS Virtual PC 2004
    In fact I have virtual machines for Fedora, SUSE, FreeBSD, KNOPPIX HD install, and others.

Did you have a specific error message to report?

The only problem I have had with MS VPC 2004 is when I connect to a remote desktop
    session and start a VM running X Windows the mouse acts super crazy.

Remember that video card is a bummer with VPC because VPC emulates an S3 Trio 32/64 which X servers seems to balk at but can work at low resolution with few issues.

Hey Hey,

Did you install VMWare Tools? With most Linux Distrobutions... VMWare won't load X until you've installed the Tools and made a few other slight modifications.. It's all in the VMWare Linux Guest OS Readme

Peace,
    HT

CybertecOne: Yes, it will work. It treats it just like a hard drive and will allow you to format in whatever filesystems and partitions you'd like.

ss2chef: I'll try the m$VPC2K4 settings on low res. If I can set it that way for the install. It just errors out. Maybe its because I'm using a .iso image and using daemon tools to emulate the CDROM? It works just fine for knoppix or installing on VMWare. I'll try again.

HTRegz: I've tried to install the VMWare tools. How do I know when they have been installed?
    If I click on VM, it says "Cancel VMWare tools install". That is after 20 minutes of waiting for them to be installed. Will it always say that? I didn't read the readme. I'll check that out.

Thanks for your help guys!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

unfortunatelly, i got the same problems with graphic support under virtual PC 2004, phis. MS had removed the support of graphic interface under VP2004. I couldnt run some linux distro with graphic interface under it. However, its works fine on console based interface (thats only i need btw.)
    Under vmware, some distros can show a graphic interface, but only with 640x480 256 colours. And most presented glitches, so ive installed vmware tools. After it works perfectly.
    Aparently, Vmware cant detect if tools were succesfully instaled or not. Its not a complicated installation, but maybe you should take a look at docs to see how for your distros.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Originally posted here by cacosapo
    unfortunatelly, i got the same problems with graphic support under virtual PC 2004, phis. MS had removed the support of graphic interface under VP2004. I couldnt run some linux distro with graphic interface under it. However, its works fine on console based interface (thats only i need btw.)
    Under vmware, some distros can show a graphic interface, but only with 640x480 256 colours. And most presented glitches, so ive installed vmware tools. After it works perfectly.
    Aparently, Vmware cant detect if tools were succesfully instaled or not. Its not a complicated installation, but maybe you should take a look at docs to see how for your distros.
    X Windows isn't that big of deal to me. I am comfortable with CLI. I just thought that if they are going to make VPC software... it should work! I can get knoppix to work, but some applications' fonts are all messed up. VPC 5.2 worked better than m$'s version. Mabye I'll just downgrade.

I'm better off just using separate hardware. I was just hoping to cut down the electric bill a bit by running multiple PCs on one set of higher end hardware. Its nothing critical. Just messing around.

I will look at the docs. I just thought I'd throw this out here and see what I come up with.
    I was expecting the RFTM answers.

Thanks for the replies. If I get it all to work, I'll let you know.

Hey Hey,

phish: when you go to install VMWare tools.. that doesn't do anything, but set the CDRom equal to a mini-ISO that comes with VMWare...

You have to mount the cdrom, cd to the directory.. you'll find a .tar.gz.. extract it somewhere... and then run vmware-install.pl (or vmware-tools-install.pl.. it's been a while since I did it)... it'll walk you through everything.

Peace,
    HT

Phish

Check out

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws45/d...s.html#1008207

for instructions on installing vmware tools on linux, it pretty strait forward.

I have not used X with it myself, but it does give you some handy folder sharing abilities.

Thanks, I did manage to get it working. I just had to RTFM.

I ended up not using the GUI anyway.