Thread: XP Pro for webhost

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

XP Pro for webhost

Hi all-

Don't know if anyone's noticed, but I got fuxored by freewebs.com and my website is gone.

This is the third free hosting company to do this to me, so I am getting ready to host my own website.

Does anyone have any practical experience with using XP Pro/IIS as a webserver?

Or, does anyone know of any free programs that would enable me to host a site on a Win98 or XP home box?

Thanks!
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Doesn't your ISP give you some space to host a web site on? I think mine does, but I have never used it, although it might be a good idea, as my site right now is on freewebs.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Hi

Why not using Apache[1] - Php[2] - MySql[3]?
    I had all these succesfully running on a Win2k Workstation
    for testing purposes. Shouldn't be different on a Xp Pro box.

And in case you have a dynamical IP: check this thread [4].

Cheers

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
    [2] http://www.php.net/downloads.php
    [3] http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/
    [4] http://www.antionline.com/showthread...035#post802035
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

I second sec_ware's suggestion.

Simply put, you will not get a decent version of IIS for Windows XP. You'd need to get a Windows 2003 Server OS to get any recent version of IIS (IIS6) that is considered "safe / up-to-date" by MS. IIS 6 is not avaliable for any other MS OS. And incase it isn't readily clear, it isn't cheap (Begins at $999 to $3999). Plus you'd have to spend time learning how to lockdown IIS, keep it from mucking with your system if it messes up, and then get a stateful filter/firewall type thing for it which runs probably $200 per license and also requires a bit of setup. Apache/PHP/MySQL will be much cheaper, and much easier to lock down since it isn't as intrusive/intangled to the OS as IIS is... You also aren't limited to the 15 or so connections that the NT/2K/XP EULA dictates MS products to use...

Sorry for the rant, I just need to make sure this is somewhere near the top of the list of topics

Just make sure that your machine isn't accepting NETBIOS connections from the Internet though...that would be a barel of trouble!

Hum, here goes "nothing", from my point of view Tim_axe is right has for the IIS for XP Pro, but if you only need to run a simple website, you shouldnt face serious problems with XP Pro, but you can always try both ways, Apache/PHP/MySQL and IIS..try them for a while and see if you have any problems with any of them.

I guess there is no point of lowering IIS at XP if it doesnt give him problems.. i have a IIS (Pro) machine that i use mostly for localhost testing, but it has been with a ASP site for months and some traffic and it neve gave me problems with the firewall/IIS config

But has i said before, i advise you 2 test both Apache/IIS and make your own conclusions..

Cheers
    Owmen

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Well, Thank you all for your help...

>> Mox, you were right. My ISP gives me 10 Mb of webspace with my account. That's what I'm going to end up using. It's interesting that they don't put that down as a selling point. All they talk about is "how fast this," and "email that." sheesh.

You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to [moxnix] [sec_ware] again.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

I think you can also use win2003 server, for hosting. or better use FREE BSD with an apache server ( FREE)